Thursday, February 17, 2022

Reflections and reading

I have been reading a book, Thinking in Bets, and am finding that I truly enjoy it.  Based on the title, I thought it would be a poker driven book. I am not a gambler but I am trying to improve my relationship with money.  It was one of the suggested books to purchase to familiarize yourself with course material for the finance class I signed up for.  In addition to this book, there were three others and a bunch of course material. The first two modules were brief and I almost felt cheated for the amount of money I paid for the course.  Then, I started module three.  It is overwhelming the amount of information in this module.  Therefore, it has been on the backburner for me as I choose other areas to focus on. Hence, picking up this book to read.

The author equates all of life with bets and if you put it like that--for sure, it is.  For example, for years, I have been trying to leave the service industry.  Not because I do not enjoy it.  I am actually quite good at this industry.  Every time I have tried to leave, I always return.  The flexibility, daily cash (this was early on in my career.  Now mostly, it is delivered on a paycheck or pay card.  It is a rarity to be given tips in cash nightly.), social interaction, exposure to food, being fed (especially essential when in college. I did not live on ramen noodles, lol), etc. There are many benefits to the industry.  And, like I said, I excel in it.  I enjoy anticipating people's needs.

Still, in the back of my head, I have wanted to be my own boss.  I just didn't know how to do it.  While in Melbourne, Australia, in 2008, I sat with a tarot card reader and she insisted that I would be finished with service within three years. That I would embrace my calling of teaching and/or healing.  I remember scoffing at the idea.  I did like this reader and it was my first time having my tarot cards read. There were other readers in the vicinity.  I sized them up.  I remember one of the readers had a McDonald's bag in front of them and that was a no-no for me.  Energetically, I sought out this woman.  Resistant to this change, I stayed with what was familiar.  Weighing the pro's and con's of my decision like placing any bet.  

I relocated to Phoenix at one point and enhanced my skills in the restaurant industry and elevated my overall skill set by embarking on a yoga certification.  Slowly, I turned more to that industry when I returned to Denver.  It has been a slow transition, but, it is right for me.  And, this book, is perfect right now.  Hedging bets with uncertain outcomes.  Instead of stacking my weekend with serving shifts, I am driving cross country to Florida.  I want that experience and time off. I know, intuitively, that I am making a smart decision for myself regardless of how it pans out.  

I have spoken to a few salon owners and envision pop-ups this year.  The one in Santa Fe will likely be the first one.  I was listening to a manifestation podcast when I received a text from Carmen and it felt serendipitous.  Having an opportunity present itself while listening to a podcast about abundance and manifestation.  It feels right.

And I feel great about my decision to venture out on my own.  Sometimes, I get bogged down with how I will make it work which is extremely counterproductive.  It will work.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your evening.  I have a few chapters to read, classes to prep and some relaxation in my night.

No comments: