Sunday, February 11, 2018

Driving in the snow and gratitude

It is Sunday.  I spent the last few days in New Mexico and it was lovely.  My friends were upset about the lack of winter and snow.  I was thankful to be driving down south with little resistance due to weather conditions.  How that changed yesterday.  I thought it was clear both directions and saw there was a chance of snow in Denver Saturday morning.  Chance didn't scare me or set me on edge.  I left Santa Fe early to ensure that I would avoid a jam up on Monument Hill.  I had two hours of easy breezy driving.  As I approached Raton Pass I could see more fog in the area.  I dreaded driving over the Pass with limited visibility.  Recently, I drove down to Santa Fe and had a treacherous drive over the pass due to fog.  It was nuts and I hated every minute of it.
So, there was a foreboding of what I was driving towards.  I made it to Trinidad and a brief reprieve of sunshine.  No more fog which was pleasant.  I headed towards Canon City and looked at when Opie's opened.  I could stop for some green chile before heading north.  Unfortunately, they open at 11 and I was about an hour ahead of their time table.  At this point, the weather took a deliberate turn for the worse.  Misting snow and some traction on the roads as I encountered Pueblo.  It only got worse as I approached the Springs.  My rear window was smeared with some debris which was also inhibiting my visibility.  I continued north, hoping, to make it home safe.  I thought about where I could stop for take-out before heading to work.  I was informed that there was a bar meeting at 2 pm which I would be required to attend.
I focused on my driving and saw an increase in traffic.  I left the Springs and figured the last 15 miles to Denver would be the worst.  I stopped in Castle Rock to wipe the back window and was relieved that I would be able to see.  What a difference that makes, lol.  There was more snow on the ground and I was getting a little more anxious. I despise driving in the snow.  I made it to the outskirts of Denver and experienced a complete slow down.   We were inching along and I was trying to make it to Hampden.  From there, I could take Monaco to 13th, stop for take-out at a casual eatery and eventually drive home with time to spare.  My grand plans of feeding myself before hopping into an uber to work.  It took much longer to make the remainder of the trip.  I sat at a stoplight on Monaco for five light cycles.  I seriously thought about getting out of my car and figuring out why the cars in the front were unwilling to accelerate and move.  It was long, tedious and annoying.  As noted, I do not enjoy driving in the snow.  I thought about my tires and how I would react if something did happen.  At one point on 1-25 north, I kept flashing my viper fluid to clear the snow and was realizing that I couldn't see due to the incoming fluid and trying to stop before traffic halted.  It was terrifying!
I did make it home.  I avoided the additional stop to buy take-out.  I didn't have time and I had little interest in prolonging my way home.  I unpacked my car, changed my shoes, made scrambled eggs and saw the travesty of a basketball game before hiring a car.  I made it to work for the meeting with 10 minutes to spare.  I was thankful.
I am thankful.  Today is a new day. I might go to a barre class or donation yoga later.  I am uncertain.  I am happy for the opportunity of what today brings.  I am happy for the possibility of teaching more yoga and will let go the need to be driven to always work.  It is okay to rest, reflect, rejuvenate.
And so grateful that I made it home unscathed.  My friend, Melody, lamented the lack of winter in Santa Fe.  She was tired of the lame season this year.  If only she could have encountered the snow in Denver.
I have chosen to skip the goat yoga in Nashville.  After much consideration, I don't think it is my jam.  It won't be challenging.  It's more about comfort and a different aspect of yoga.  I feel that I will need to detox more than be coddled.  I think I can sell it to my friends too.  I know they have hot yoga amongst other disciplines there.  In two weeks, I will be exploring Music City.  I cannot wait!

No comments: