Sunday, February 18, 2018

small things that make me happy and other reflections

Yum....I love noodle soup and Pho.  I found this particular place while on my last trip to Las Vegas.  Café Arawan was delicious.  I loved the tuna appetizer, garlic short ribs and of course, the meat ball soup. Delicious!
I try to enjoy Pho every other week.  I am blessed to have a mid shift early in the week.  Translation, I arrive at 11 and am finished by 1/1:30 depending on service.  I have a break until 3:30 and so I find myself exploring downtown restaurants.  Sometimes, I go high end.  I like to check out what other places are doing.  And, honestly, I love fish sandwiches.  They are easily found at steakhouses and restaurants in hotels in downtown.  Other times, I check out Korean BBQ  or Pho.  I love learning how to maneuver chop sticks more handily.  It has been an embarrassing illustration for many, many years.  I think my trip to Southeast Asia helped me become a more adept chop stick handler.  
It's the small things that make me happy.  Peppermint oil, sunflowers, the moon, taking time to write a letter.  I sat down and knocked out three letters this afternoon.  I have all of this stationary and want to use it. I also want to reach out to friends and family in an old fashioned way. 
More and more, I see, how we are disconnected from human contact.  Our interactions are mostly limited to likes, swipes and commentary on social media.  To actually sit across from someone and have a conversation is unique.  Or, to take the time to write a letter, put a stamp on it and mail it is unheard of.  I remember while in Colombia they do not have stamps readily available.  I was looked at as if I was cross eyed or better yet, had two heads, when I made this inquiry.  I love sending post cards to friends and family when I am abroad.  It is a dialogue that you can always look back on.  A placement in time.  
Jenn found a great sushi spot in Denver.  Unfortunately, they are not open on Tuesdays which sort of crashes my Tuesday exploration of food tour.  Of course, I can go on other days. I sampled some of their food and would love to check out their ramen and poke bowls.  I am getting more excited about the upcoming trip to Nashville.  I arranged a reflexology appointment and looked at what else is available nearby.  The Parthenon, the Gulch and parts of downtown.  I know there will be an extended walk somewhere in our tour.  I typically get us lost in whatever city we are visiting.  It is a strength of mine, lol....
This upcoming week, I pledge to do something different.  Maybe walk home, teach a new student, make a contribution to one of the charities I support.  Buy flowers. Focus on the positive and continue to be healthy.  Life is grand.  And, for me, it all begins with the small things--the sun, the moon, a scent, an essence, a letter and food.  There is always that!

No comments: