Sunday, March 18, 2018

the three R's

The three R's--reading, relaxing, resting.  Best way to spend a weekend.  I have been trying to incorporate more reading into my daily life.  I think I have allowed other things to distract me.  Social media and streaming random shows have taken over my desire to read.  It is sad. I benefit more from reading than watching a show.  I remember my optometrist warning me of the harms of always being attached to my phone and/or laptop.  The blue screen that is scorching people's eyes and creating more cases of macular degeneration.  I believe it, too.  It is scary to consider and so I am trying to stop being so available to my phone.
I have a stack of books to sort through that I was given by one of my colleagues.  Chad is an avid reader and is downsizing some of his collection. I gladly accepted any and all books.  Some of been insightful while others are quick reads.  Perfect for the airport travel.  I need to select a few for my flight to Puerto Rico tomorrow.  I have a long day tomorrow.  Flying to Newark to spend five hours and then head south to Rincon. I will arrive in time to go to bed.  I am sure that I will be toasting the beginning of my trip though.  Bed will wait.  I might check out the ocean, too.
I asked my friends if they wanted me to bring them anything from the mainland.  Initially they said no and when I pressed them, they asked for decaf coffee from a place in Denver.  Apparently, it is quite good and well known.  I found the nearest location and made an inquiry into the decaf selection.  They had two pounds, only. I wish they had had more to bring to my friends.  One time, I was visiting friends in Phoenix and they gave me 8 bags of coffee.  When I went through security at the airport, they stopped me to sort through my coffee selection.  I thought it was sort of funny in hindsight.  At the time, I was irritated since it was only coffee.  To imply otherwise seemed ridiculous if you know how I live my life.
I am relaxing and resting my body.  Too often we go, go, go and do not take time to decompress or heal.  When I work too much or overindulge, immediately, I experience the start of a cold or laryngitis in the extreme form.  I have experienced this three times and it is not at all welcoming or easy to rectify.  I have found that apple cider vinegar is my best friend in this case.  So, I am taking the time to rest and heal.  My trainer told me my homework for the weekend was to abstain from drinking wine.  She said that I would be celebrating all week while on vacation and that I could minimize the effects if I took it easy this weekend.  And she is right.  I will be celebrating all week.  I almost caved last night.  My uber ride home was annoying and it would have been easy to toast the holiday with a glass of wine.  I considered it and then discarded the idea.  I hired a pool to minimize costs and regretted it.  There were so many people downtown that had been overserved.  The couple in my pool were kind and tourists.  However, we had another stop to make to pick another passenger up.  Traffic barely moved and when we finally arrived at the predetermined spot the guy was no longer there.  He was intoxicated based on his speech and said that he had moved on.  Oh, and sorry that I left and it took you over ten minutes to find me.  So, yes, I considered having a glass of wine when I made it home.  Did I mention that the driver forgot my stop and that I had to chase them down.  There was that, too.
At any rate, I am resting and gearing up for another day of basketball.  I have considered traveling to Minneapolis soon and of course, there is D.C. in June.
I could add reflect to my R's too.  Reflecting on life, choices and the present.  I am here due to choices I made.  Where I go tomorrow is based on decisions I made today.  We shall see.  I am thankful for the opportunities to begin again and enjoy life.
I have a friend who is celebrating a birthday today.  I hope he fully enjoys and toasts his life.  Cheers!  Keep resting, relaxing and reading!

No comments: