Thursday, March 29, 2018

Throwback Thursday...travel style


Thought I would try something different this week. Why not throwback to a travel related Thursday?Seemed fitting to choose Colombia.  I met an Uber driver in Nashville who seemed so square and conservative. I struggled to think of what I would talk to him about.  Meanwhile, my two friends were in the back seat chattering away.  So, I made a go of it.  I mentioned that I lived in Denver which opened the conversation wide open.  This man, Paul, enjoyed century rides.  He had ridden the Leadville course a few summers ago.  I wanted to related to him and so I told him that my brother in law is a huge cyclist and currently in Medellin.  His response--I was in Medellin in 1979....I about fell over.  Suddenly this man was interesting and we could speak. 
  So, cheers to Colombia.  My current throwback travel Thursday.  This first photo was taken outside of the airbnb in Cartagena.  Cody and I arranged one night in an apartment owned by a guy but met his mother.  Her English was not too much and so we conversed in a smattering on Spanglish and made it work.  She was kind and very helpful.  Talked with her hands to exemplify the point.  The rental was right on the beach and lovely.




Another photo from Cartagena.  We found this great beer shop while exploring the old town.  Although, Cartagena was my least favorite city, it did have its highlights.  This being one.  And, I am certain had we not encountered a conman who owned an airbnb, my time there would have ended differently.  It's sad that individuals can make or break a trip.  Regardless, if you have time, check out the Beer Store in Cartagena.  Great selection and staff.  Super friendly and well air conditioned.  My friend, Cody, and I enjoying a beer and relaxing.

Finally, Bogota.  I loved the graffiti tour that we decided to check out.  My mini had been there about six months prior to my trip and she raved about the free hour and a half tour of downtown Bogota.  I sort of figured what is an hour and half of checking out street art?  It was amazing, actually.  Remarkable and of course, biased to a certain degree  This piece was done by a guy who lives in Los Angeles.  He was contacted about creating some art in Bogota and met a woman and fell in love while doing street art in the city.  I love this piece.  Such passion and love the colors.  

I think this could be a good way to be inspired to blog on Thursdays.  I speak of food, travel and wine often in my posts.  Yet, I could revisit many of the incredible places I have had the privilege of visiting.  I have a great life and just want to share.  Enjoy the rest of your Thursday!  If you could revisit somewhere....where would it be and why?  I would return to Colombia to explore more of the cities and learn to brush up on Spanish.  Maybe eat more arepas?  I don't know.  It was a whirlwind of a trip and I could use more time in Medellin (my favorite place there), Baranquilla and Cali.  I am a huge fan of Narcos, lol.  At any rate, Cheers!!!

No comments: