Thursday, December 10, 2009

Butternut Squash

It began with squash--the vegetable, not the sport.
Last night, I went to Bryn's house. We try to meet up, once a week, for a gab session and lately, my laundry. We drink coffee or tea, walk the lake and eat dinner. I knew that Bryn wanted mexican. There is a family owned restaurant, near her, that is our place to eat mexican. I swear, the same waiter, Jose, never leaves the restaurant. I believe he has waited on us every single time we have eaten there. I think we have been dining, there, for about 7 years. I enjoy their chips and salsa and I like their breakfast burrito, too. We are fairly regular in our order--burrito, no lettuce or cheese, smothered, with tomatoes and a side of rice. Good, hearty, standard, consistent food. I am always happy when we go to Tafolino's.
However, I wanted Edgewater Inn Pizza. This is another family run establishment, near Bryn's house and the pizza is quite good. Normally, we order take-out and make a salad at her house. I had been craving pizza since Casey mentioned his desire to go to Rudy's Pizza.
We ate mexican since I was doing laundry at her house. I appreciated that she was saving me the inconveniece of sitting at the laundromat, waiting hopelessly, for my clothes to dry. Next time, I will suggest pizza.
The cold prohibited us from walking the lake and so we drank coffee and dished on life. I told her that I wanted to cook squash. I wanted to make use of the seasonal vegetables. I guess I am inspired to use my kitchen since I have someone to cook for now. Even if it is temporary, I am motivated to use my kitchen knives, cutting board and random equipment. I feel it is time to get them out of storage.
Her response was that I should take one of hers. I didn't since I forgot. I was preoccupied with collecting my belongings and laundry.
My house guest returned from work and we talked about our days. I sensed that she wanted to be alone and so I grabbed my Moosewood Cookbook and looked at squash recipes. In the index, it was referenced and the one labeled--Chilean Bean Stew--interested me. I looked at the recipe and realized that it was the porotos granados that I had searched out while in Santiago, Chile. Basically, it is pinto beans, corn and squash. I walked 14 miles, or forever, to go to one of the best places for it while in Santiago. It was my last day there and I did not consult the map before beginning my walk to the restaurant. I know, blonde moment, and yes, this does happen to me when traveling. I think it makes for a better adventure or a more animated retell of the story. I know that I blogged about that particular story while in Chile. I met an interesting guy on my walk and for once, found my voice and was able to tell him off. Blonde hair in Chile means never being able to walk or run without notice. Factor in it being South America, the whole machismo crap and you get a sense of what I was dealing with.
Yes, it started with the idea of squash. I walked to Safeway to purchase the necessary items to make the porotos tonight. I am excited and hopeful that Sara will enjoy it, too. If not, there is always ample wine to cover the lack of flavor, right?
Either way, I am excited to be using my kitchen my again. It is the beginnning of a new phase in my life....less dining out and more experimenting at home. Wish me luck!

No comments: