Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I bought pants....

I know--that sounds like sacrilige, coming from me.
No worries...they are running pants. I figure if I want to avoid a gym membership and treadmill, than I needed to invest in some running pants for the winter. Today was the perfect example of why I need pants to continue training. The weather altered and my walk home was frigid.
Again, I know this sounds odd, coming from me. Typically, I wear shorts yearround. Correction, I wear shorts indoors. Yes, it isn't awful where there are heaters. Actually, I think I overheat at work and in my house.
Truly, I own two pairs of Levi's (somewhere, that I bought in 2000 or 2001--uncertain--it's been that long). I wore jeans to work, one time, and knew it was a mistake within 20 minutes. I was hot and I had 9 hours to despise how hot it was and how uncomfortable my night would be. So, I wear shorts.
I enjoy watching people's reactions. It feels like performance art. I have walked through Target, several times, and people either stop and stare, or feel it necessary to question my sanity. Really, aren't you cold or better yet--you are making me cold. I am all about comfort.
Hence, the running pants. I am committed to running. I enjoy it and I hope to accomplish two 1/2 marathons in 2010 and one full. I know that I will do the Napa 1/2 which is July 18th. I am recruiting other runners and friends to do that particular race. It will be awesome. I mean, what better way to celebrate finishing a half marathon than having ample wine or sparkling wine? Chandon is a fun winery and yes, they have lovely "champagne". I have been there several times and enjoyed the atmosphere.
I haven't decided what other half to tackle. I believe the Goddess and I are signing up for one, prior to her move to Flagstaff. I am sad that she is moving, but know how excited she is for this adventure. We would like to do a 1/2 in April or May. I prefer April. If anyone has any suggestions of fun events, please let me know.
Also, I hope to run another full. I would like to run a sea level, flat, warm race. I like the idea of Chicago, but the weather is an issue. I have heard that Austin is a great marathon because it is flat. Phoenix would work if it weren't in January. I would like to be able to get more running under my belt before any long race.
I don't know. I am sure that something will feel right. I might even try the Denver Marathon, again. Next year it will be a Rock n Roll Marathon. There is an advantage to that marathon since again, it goes by my house. I don't know if I will be able to resist the temptation, though.
Regardless, I bought pants. I realize that for the last few months, most of my purchases have been running related. I guess I have found my hobby. Thanks for listening.

No comments: