Monday, May 16, 2011

Padilla







My last visit to Mexico and my friend, Derek, finally introduced me to this amazing eatery. Up til this point, I had dined at their home, their bar and some other tourist spots. I yearned for street fare and made a point to tell him and Jonny that I was interested in tipico fare. I enjoy tourist spots, but prefer the traditional food.

After a day of kayaking, ATV'ing, beachside life, we made our way to Padilla. Excellent. A definite highlight to my visit to Rocky Point.

I returned for another brief stopover. Jonny said I can visit whenever I want. I don't know if he knows this about me or not, but I really believe what people say. If they offer to let me stay, indefinitely, or visit, frequently, I most certainly will. I love traveling, visiting friends and checking out restaurants.

I e-mailed Jonny, mentioned that I wanted to visit and made arrangements to head south. The first night we hang out in his bar and catch up with his friends. We make plans to golf, enjoy the sand rail and beach. The only thing I really had in mind was another day at the swim bar. I thought it was a great concept and a spectacular way to cocktail and enjoy the pool.

After golfing and no my game did not improve much, we chose to go out to dinner. Jonny knew that I was not a fan of this one particular tourist spot. I had been vocal about it the last time around. Imagine my surprise when he suggests this spot in front of his friends that do like it. From our previous conversation, I knew that he was not a fan either.

I couldn't believe that he would suggest the place knowing that I abhorred it. Thankfully, I was able to kibosh the idea without too much negativity being thrown around. Instead, I mentioned that I really wanted to return to Padilla. When I went with Derek we got take-out. We sat at the bar, watched the lady compose the burritos and hand us the finished product.

This time, we sat in the restaurant. The server spoke to us in spanish and we muddled through our orders. We drank a hibiscus juice drink and thoroughly enjoyed the burritos. Delicious is all I can say. I loved the condiment tray. I hope to return for another meal. I really love Padilla.

And, my friend's friends also enjoyed the food. Grateful, for that, so that next visit, we can dine there instead of some tourist inspired restaurant.

June is the intended next visit. There is a show to see and more street fare to discover. Onward and upward, I say.

No comments: