Thursday, December 28, 2017

10 Years of memories

 This is how it all started.  Traveling to Fiji, 2007.  I packed the majority of my belongings and left them in Phoenix along with the beloved Veronica.  (I so miss that car).  Anyways, this was me.  Ambitious to travel and see more of the world with a few books, journals, camera, rain jacket and of course, Flat Kellen.
First stop, Fiji.  Glorious.  I bought a sarong to be respectful in the temples and villages.  I still have that sarong.  Durable and useful.  It accompanies me to all of my beach vacations.  I have the hat, too.  That was one of my reminders of Brian and tasting life on this adventure.



 Bariloche, Argentina.  I still love this photo.  One of my favorites of a beautiful place.  I attended a day hike to see a black glacier and of course, the Isla de Corazon.  The tour was led in Spanish.  I understood a fair amount of it.  Struggled with responding to any questions, lol.
 Simon's Town, South Africa.  Another one of my favorite reflections from the 2007-08 trip.  Six month (almost) traveling and it was remarkable.  The food, people and places.  I still reflect on that trip and wish I had extended it.  I had the opportunity and know that I did make the right decision to return to Denver.  It led me to where I am now.
 Barefoot and classy.  Walking back to the hotel room in the MGM with love jones.  After attending my friends wedding in 2008.  I think I am waxing nostalgic on all of my Vegas trips since I spent a few days there last week.  Ironically, we did only stay within a three block radius from where we stayed and all on one side of the Strip.  We did not see a show, either, which typically I manage to do while in Sin City. I even play a few slot machines normally.  This past week, I was focused on Off Strip spas and the food factor.

 Shari and I in Napa.  Dinner at Bouchon.  One of many incredible meals at this location or the Vegas location.  2009, I believe.   Her first trip out to Napa and Sonoma.  Of course, wine tasting was involved as well as a few additional days in the city.

 Dinner at Mauka in Santa Fe with the lovely Melody.  2008 or 09.  Honestly, I cannot remember which year we dined here.  I remember I stayed near the Plaza and we had dinner here and at Max. Unfortunately, both places have since closed.  However, each chef has moved on to a new space in the city.
 Bahamas with Shar, 2010.  I met this lady while traveling in 2008 in Chile.  We spent five days traveling on the coast and reconnected in the Bahamas in 2010.  I returned in 2014 to venture to Havana with her.  I am overdue for another meet up with this beauty.
 2011, Puerto Penasco, Mexico.  Spent six weeks in Rocky Point while deciding what I wanted to do.  I ended up relocating to Phoenix and finding a niche there.  Rocky Point became my oasis and quick beach trip.

 2010, Cap Grille with Sara Jo and Lindsay in Denver.  We were celebrating confirmation of our lodging in Napa.  We treated my boss and my friend, Maghan, to lunch for helping us set it up.  I had been trying to run the Napa to Sonoma wine half marathon for some time.  We were able to register for the Healdsburg Half and I was determined to make sure it was the best trip ever.  Having accommodations arranged and squared made it much easier.
 Bangkok, Thailand, 2016.  Outside of a massage studio before flying to Hanoi.  I still had remnants of my black eye that I sustained in the loss of my car.  They had the best tea and cookies.  This was the beginning of our adventure in Southeast Asia.  Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.  Absolutely amazing foodie driven celebration trip.  Shari and I have traveled together the last 11 years on the anniversary of Brian's death.  This year, we are heading to Nashville.
How this all started...with one man that changed my life.  He taught me to love, to risk, to not regret living life.  He knew he would have a short life.  An old soul.  I met him in 2002 and spent the next four years with him.  After he died, I chose to live life, fully, daily.  Travel. Celebrate.  Taste Life.
I realized while walking to work the other day, that I have had this blog for 10 years.  Wow!  10 years of memories.  Some more reflective and inspired.  Others, more quiet.
I am happy to be where I am and look forward to what 2018 has to bring.  Definitely returning to my travel roots and cultivating friendships.  I had dimmed part of both of those aspects in recent years.  I don't exactly know how or why, but it happened.  I want to return to what makes me the most happy and motivated.  Wine, travel, yoga and connecting people.  I think I can do it all.
I will have more thoughts of the last ten years.  I need to get out and enjoy part of the day.  I have a sushi happy hour with Jenn in a couple hours.
Cheers!

No comments: