Saturday, December 9, 2017

Year in review....a beginning

Year in Review...it's been an interesting year for me.  For many, I would presume.  The onslaught of negativity, fear, blatant negative emotions, etc....it's a little overwhelming.  I prefer focusing on the positive and light.
Thankfully, I made travel a priority.  In January, I explored Colombia with my friend, Cody.  I met Cody during my brief stint at Whole Foods in Phoenix.  She is like-minded.  Loves to travel, do yoga and taste life.  I had never traveled with her before and so I was a little hesitant which was unfounded.  She was a great travel partner.  Open to seeing where the road would lead.  We had a few accommodations arranged and figured out the rest.  Initially, I was not impressed by Bogota and was looking forward to exploring Cartagena and Medellin.  Of the three cities, I had the best time in Medellin and would love to return to explore more of it.  It was incredible.  Great vibe, food and people.  I cannot say enough about how wonderful it was.  Initially, I was a little scared.  The whole Pablo Escobar thing.  And, I was entranced by Narcos and of course, you hear so many things associated with the cartels and drugs.  Fear, again, trying to limit experiences.  I loved Medellin.
Cartagena was disappointing mostly due to an experience with an airbnb owner.  This man was unbelievable and soured that portion of the trip.  I'm sure that Cartagena is charming.  I only did not experience that.   We did swim in the ocean and explore the old city which was great.  I loved all of the arepas, too.  Street food was predominant and delicious.  We also saw some incredible street dancers perform for two consecutive nights.  That was amazing.  So there was some positive about Cartagena.
We returned to Bogota we did the graffiti tour which was excellent.  I would recommend it to anyone traveling to that city.  It's free, informative and visually stunning.  I loved the political murals.
Also in Bogota, we met up with some friends of my friend, Sharleen.  She connected us on social media and I was able to meet up with two of her friends that had never met.  They both were helpful and kind.  We shared a tour of the city through their eyes and had lunch.  It changed my perspective of Bogota, for sure.  It was more than just the Capitol city of Colombia.  I could reflect more on Colombia but feel I should point out other first cities for me this year.
Palm Springs and Yucca.  I find that I do love the desert.  I suppose I have always known it.  I have gravitated, geographically, to the southwest the majority of my life.  Twice in Phoenix, once in Santa Fe and again in Denver.  Yes, I do like the desert lifestyle.
I had never been to Palm Springs and jumped on the opportunity to visit Sara Jo's brother.  It was family oriented and fun.  We explored Joshua Tree--gorgeous and the Integretron.  I love adding spirituality into the mix of a trip.  It did not disappoint.  Who wouldn't enjoy a sound healing bath?  I completely zoned out and meditated.
Outside of those two trips, I returned to Santa Fe multiple times, Kansas for family and a wedding, Los Angeles for the Brian trip, and Chicago for a foodie driven venture.  It has been a grand year of food and friendship.  And taking care of me.  I chose to get a personal trainer which has been one of the best decisions I have made.  She keeps me accountable for my health and fitness choices.  I have cut out cheese from my diet.  SHOCK.  AWE.
Well, mostly.  This also includes breakfast burritos.  I know. It's insanity.  In my defense, I love drinking wine.  I will not cut that out of my diet.  So in an attempt to trim down, I have modified aspects of what I eat.  I now live on tuna and almonds.  Oh, and protein bars.  I still eat chips and salsa and guacamole. I am exaggerating a little.  I absolutely do not only live on tuna and almonds.  I just find that that is now my snack of choice as opposed to inhaling chips like I used to.  I have limited cheese.  Mostly because of how it now affects me.  I might as well be in close proximity to a porta potty if I eat the dip duo at one of my favorite spots.  That or a breakfast burrito.  I miss them but it destroys my system.  I used to think that anyone spouting off about how dairy affects your body was nuts.  Now, I feel a little differently.  I still eat it, but in small amounts and infrequently.  I think on my next trip to Santa Fe, I will try a breakfast burrito without cheese.  See how that works.
I meet with Courtney three times a month on average.  I have seen how I am benefitting from our sessions.  I can now do pushups with ease.  I will comfortable walking around the equipment and not just heading straight to the treadmill since I know how to operate that machine.  I am strengthening, overall, and I feel great.  Another added bonus of having a trainer.  The feeling great part.  I never thought I would enjoy this as much as I am.  Or that I could modify my nutrition and see immediate results.  And, I am still drinking wine, haha.
My intention is to teach more yoga which I am finally doing.  I believe that next year will present a passport stamp and a yoga retreat to continue my practice of being a student.  I like to see what is out there and continue my own journey.  I met a couple recently where I think more yoga will be in my life.  And an opportunity to inspire others.
Focusing on the positive and light.   Spreading kindness instead of fear.  We all can be more kind.  Looking forward to 2018 and the opportunities that will be presented.  I will reflect more on my year.  I am off to yoga.  I could use some inspiration.

No comments: