Friday, December 29, 2017

I look back over the last ten years and think of all of the places I have traveled--Fiji, New Zealand, Belize, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Italy...amongst others.  In addition...Where are the most interesting places I have traveled?
Yes, I have been asked that question. Many times.  People seem to think Belize is the most exotic and it is exotic.  What isn't exotic about scuba diving, snorkeling, resort living?  And food?  Thankfully,  I have visited twice in my life.  Once to conclude a trip in 2008 and a return to scuba dive at Caye Caulker in 2011.
Until I tell them I have been to South Africa.  Immediately, they think, oh, safari driven venture.  Yes, I did a day trip.  And, I also checked out Camp Bay, Stellenbosch and Cape Town.  It was incredible.  I adored it and felt and feel it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  I loved the music factor, too.  Check out Freshly Ground.  I have two of their cd's.
I hiked Table Mountain and stayed in a hostel on Long Street.  Reminded me of New Orleans--live music til 4 a.m.  Brief break prior to staff arriving to clean the restaurant and venue.  5:30 am, cleaning and prepping.  I would wake up and force myself to go for a run.  Back then, I was motivated to be healthy by running.
Or Colombia, 2017.  Medellin.  My favorite place.  I think of all of the connotations of Medellin--drug cartel and Escobar.  Still impactful til you visit.  Gorgeous.  Stunning.  Great food.  Clean.  Cody and I convinced our taxi driver to help us find a hotel in el Poblado.  Furthermore, we arranged a day tour with him that included a mini tour of Escobar highlights and lunch.  We wanted to see more of the barrios in Medellin.  At one point, we understood how insensitive we were being.  Take us somewhere we should not be walking around does not sound that impressive, right?  After lunch we walked around a neighborhood with local businesses, restaurants and bars. Each bar had men hanging out playing cards and drinking beers.  We chose a place that appeared welcoming and open.   Immediately these two older gentleman sent us a round of drinks and waited to make our vist more about them.  Could happen anywhere.  Politely, we finished most of second beer, left the third and said thank you.  Cartagena was a wash (terrible airbnb experience) and I had a new respect for Bogota on my return.  There is something to be said about a local guide.
Vietnam, 2016.  Why go there?  I was asked that last night.  How can I explain to someone that served in the military in the forgotten war that it was an amazing experience?
That I chose to go there?
That the people were kind, inviting and lovely?  I can't even explain the war myself.
Cuba, 2014.  Another proud moments for my parents. I am sure.
Cuba had its own essence.  And a ton of mojitos.  Obviously, too sweet and rum is not really my jam.  However, they did offer toberlone chocolate and wine was readily available.    Lots of rum and the kindest people on the planet.  Seriously. Shar and I befriended a taxi driver who took us dancing.  That was awesome!
I do have more places to reflect on and consider. I had the best day, today.  Saw my trainer and had an amazing amount of energy.  I went to lunch and ran into a customer.  He approached me and I mentioned that I didn't stop by since I didn't think he knew my name.
His response--isn't it April?
Lol....not even close.  I am still laughing thinking about that.  I returned home and slept for 2 hours.  I believe I needed it.  I know that I did.  Two days off inspired rest, relaxation, some working out and sleep.  And it feels incredible!

No comments: