Wednesday, December 20, 2017

winter solstice and trying to be an adult....

Finished.  Completed.  Check it off.  Two ceremonies to the solstices of 2017.  I preferred the solo celebration I did in the summer.  It was exactly what I wanted.  I listened to music and jammed out 108 salutations--full salutations--with five breaths held in down dog before the jump forward and completion of the cycle.  I felt incredible.  Beat up and sore.  My hand pads were sore for a few days after.  I felt great that I was able to complete 108 push-ups.
Yesterday, we were arranged in the room so that we were a sun ray.  We were all facing each other and able to see each other flow through the sequence.  Two females guided us through the 108 salutations which they broke up in segments of 36 salutations.  We would further break that into twelve salutations with a break before continuing the next two blocks of sequences.  A five minute breathing exercise was incorporated between the completed thirty-six salutations.  It was definitely more spiritual and peaceful.  They explained to us that there would be three modifications that we would be available to us during the process.  The first one was the most physical of the three and it wasn't that challenging. I was expecting a chataranga.  108 of them to be exact and so when that was shut down, immediately, I was disappointed.  I wanted a physical connection to this process.  As noted, the three modifications were not that challenging.  It was an inch room out to plank, lower to belly, extend arms forward and back, press up to cobra or upward facing dog and then inch room to down dog and rise back to standing.  I wanted the jump backs with push ups and down dogs.
I did stay for the two and half hours.  I will not return to that studio to fulfill another solstice celebration.  I left, peaceful and calm, which is great.  However, not what I wanted.  I really wanted the physical to be pushed.
I rushed home, changed, and made my way downtown.  Thankfully, found parking and worked for an evening shift.  It's now Tuesday.  Although, it feels like Wednesday.  I attended a restorative yoga class which was exactly what I needed.  I fell asleep.  I think I needed that, too.  The instructor actually woke me up so that we could leave.  I was a little embarrassed.  And, it showed me, again, that yes, I really need to take better care of myself.  I wish I could sleep in.  I left work after 10 last night and went to bed around midnight.  I woke up at 5:30.  A nap was definitely in my future today.  I spent most of it running errands and seeing the dentist.  I have to be an adult sometimes.  Seeing the dentist, obgyn or eye doctor cuts into my travel plans and I consider them adult type activities and responsibilities.  I forced myself to go to the dentist this year.  It was challenging.  I postponed, procrastinated.  Even considered delaying until 2018 which wouldn't have changed the results.  I needed work done.  Postponing would have created more work.  I did ask my dentist to prioritize exactly what needed to be done in the future.  Now I can focus on getting cleanings and mix in some of the other stuff.  It can be managed.
Next year will bring on the eye doctor.  I am currently wearing my last pair of contacts which will need to be fixed.  I can only extend wearing them for so long without it affecting my eyesight.  I should probably schedule an appointment with the lady doctor, too.  Things to look forward to in the next year.
Always something.  I did attend a holiday gift extravaganza supporting local girls.  Picked up a few items and spent some time with the Goddess.  I love seeing her. We have discussed a return to running.  I see a half marathon in 2018.  Maybe two. Depends on how ambitious I feel.
Must get up and greet the day.  Cheers!

No comments: