Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Back on track

I started running, again.
Post marathon, I felt more interested or, at least, capable of going the distance. Unlike the first attempt at greatness. The Denver Marathon was a great learning curve for me. I should have waited. What do they say about hindsight? It's 20-2o, right?
In all fairness, I believed that I would be able to complete it. I was training alongside ladies that were all preparing for the full deal. I ran with them, diligently, for a few months before deciding that I should sign up for the Full Marathon. It felt right.
I ran Denver and got injured at mile 14. Can you say uncomfortable? Or, what the heck was I thinking? Why did I sign up for this? And, other expletive remarks thought in my head along the same sort of thinking.
Post-race, I wanted to run. I did. But, I also was unable to run, without pain, for a few months. I avoided running.
That sucked and I dreamed of running but still couldn't seem to manage the one foot in front of the other.
Las Vegas was different. Training was fluid. I was prepared. I completed two 20 mile runs during the training cycle. I was ready. I could have done three; but, I think I was out of town. Yes, there were options to better myself.
Post Marathon--I could walk. I felt great.
Still, I remained tentative on running. I think #3 will be different. I think there is a routine to it. Or, perhaps, that is what I am trying to tell myself.
I need to figure out my schedule so that I can plan meals around it. I realize that is what I truly look forward to. Not only the destination, but the food factor that prevails from working to achieving said goal. Even if it is only a 1/2 Marathon, I believe, you should reward yourself. I think about the Healdsburg 1/2 and how amazing it was. Not only the running or course, but also the camaraderie between us. We were set for three days. Full of wine, food and friendship that is. Yes, I think of the reward factor and how to improve upon that.
Running is necessary to achieve more travel, food, wine. Any suggestions? I am open to them and how they can better my travel. Thanks!!!

No comments: