Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dentist...

I cannot believe I am actually saying this...but, my dental appointment today was pleasant. I had been dreading it for the last month. I would rather see my gynocologist than have my teeth cleaned.
I started receiving Groupon updates last spring. I remember finding one about a dentist and then waiting too long to purchase it. I really didn't want to go to the dentist even if it was a fantastic deal.
A few months later and another Groupon posted a dental discount. This time, I purchased it, right away. No questions asked. I was committed to seeing the dentist. I knew that another opportunity would not present itself to me.
I arrived early due to the road conditions. I am not a fan of driving in the snow; nor, have I ever been. For the most part, I am able to walk, everywhere, or take public transport. Today, the buses are running 20 minutes behind schedule. I believe I could get to Arvada, but the route home would have been challenging. I probably would have had to walk the 20 miles.
Since I couldn't walk or take the bus, I had to drive. Unless, I wanted to cancel the appointment.
I was uninterested in doing that since I knew that if I did, I would postpone the entire experience. I would kiss my Groupon goodbye...$49 is not that much to waste.
Yet, I wanted my teeth cleaned. I didn't care about anything else. Just that my teeth would be clean.
I arrived and the office was slow. Again, I think weather related. They got me in early and took numerous x-rays and then started cleaning my teeth. The dentaly hygenist was informative and positive.
Normally, I hear--you really should floss more.
Today, she asked me prior to the beginning of her cleaning how frequently I flossed. Honestly, I could do a better job of it. I seem to be really great, for a while, and then fall off the flossing wagon. I have made more of an effort in the last month because of the upcoming appointment.
Overall, I have some work. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I liked this dentist.
She was unlike any dentist that I have went to. My childhood dentist was awful when I think back to it. My last experience with him was him drilling into a tooth, finding my nerve, and telling me that I needed a root canal. At which point, he slapped a temp filler on my tooth and set me on my way. I was moving to Phoenix in two days and so in his defense, he probably wouldn't have been able to do that procedure in my two days. However, the temp filler and lack of concern is what bothered me.
I arrive in Phoenix to have the root canal and find out that I am no longer on my dad's insurance plan. It had ended when I graduated from college. Awesome.
For the next two years, I deal with the temp filler and pray that it isn't painful. Eventually, I sign up with some dental service (think Perfect Teeth or Comfort Dental) and arrange to have the work done.
The dentist was kind and he did work on my root canal and other problem areas. He mentioned that I should look into getting a mouth guard since I, apparently, grind my teeth at night. I think the work was reflective of the price. Could have been better. Adequate work and kind man.
I relocated to Denver and have avoided the dentist until today. I will go back to pursue the other problem areas. She, too, mentioned a mouth guard. Super attractive, right?
I am surprised at how positive the experience was. Maybe the dentist isn't that bad.....

No comments: