Friday, March 25, 2011

breakfast options

I thought I should include some of the breakfast options, too.
The first day, my solo breakfast experience, I sort of got suckered into a place that in hindsight, I would have avoided. Hungry and wanting coffee is how I look at it. Minding my own business and unaware of my breakfast options, I stumbled into a place boasting mexican/belizean fare and "great coffee". I love mexican food and thought--why not? They should have salsa, at least.
I walked in after the owner greeted me outside his establishment. This should have been my first clue to turn around and walk away. Instead, the coffee is what enticed me inside. I looked around and there was one other lady dining. I perused the menu and it seemed typical. Eggs, pancakes, omelettes. I could find something that looked appetizing.
I ordered a vegetable omelette. It was supposed to come with beans and a choice of tortillas, potatoes or flat jacks. I wanted tortillas and requested a side of salsa. Flat jacks are baked tortillas. It looked like indian fry bread. I didn't need that much bread is what dissuaded me from trying it.
The guy returns with my coffee.
Nescafe--not happy! Nescafe is not great coffee. It is instant crap coffee and I was disappointed. Since I was by myself, the owner decided to entertain me with stories of his life. It was his restaurant and his kids were involved. He used to teach and he felt that teachers were not rewarded financially, in this world, but in the next. He kept talking, but I had checked out of the conversation. Intermittently, he would yell out at passerby's---YES WE ARE OPEN....I wanted to leave, but did have a clear way out. I was uncomfortable and was putting off some vicious nonverbal clues or so I thought. Still, this guy talked and talked and talked.
Finally, a few other people came in and his attention was diverted. He tried to sell them some of their random fare that they had on shelves and I prayed for my food to arrive.
The omelette was fine. I wish it had more vegetables and they didn't have any beans. Slighted, somewhat, but I wanted to just finish with the place and leave. I overheard him explain to the couple that they were out of beans and could have potatoes instead. He didn't say that to me is what I was thinking at that time.
I paid and rushed out. I made a note to avoid walking down that section of Caye Caulker in the a.m. I didn't want to see the guy or experience that again. I wanted to enjoy breakfast not be saved while trying to eat.
Shari and I dined at another spot near our hotel. They had smoothies, yogurt, egg sandwiches and other easy to prepare breakfast type food. The coffee was delicious and so that place was an option.
Until we found Amor y Cafe. Better coffee and selection of breakfast. The bread was scrumptious and the place was always packed. I think we shared the fruit plate on two separate occasions. It had pineapple, watermelon, banana, papaya and oranges. Lovely.
My favorite place was found the day before we left. Glenda's. Located on the back road and mostly home to locals. I wish we had found this eatery sooner. Excellent coffee came with a cinnamon roll, and choice of eggs with beans or bacon, sausage, etc. I loved the coffee and the feel of the place. Welcoming. They opened at 7-10:00 and then reopened from 11:30-1:30. One of the airport guys recommended it. It's true--locals always know best.
I really miss Belize. Breezy way of life, beautiful sunsets and wonderful food.

No comments: