Sunday, March 20, 2011

Procrastination

The Horsetooth 1/2 is a month away. Yikes. I am completely behind on my traditional training schedule.
At first, I procrastinated, telling myself that it doesn't take four months to train for 13 miles. I could start, really training, the next week. I used this tactic when it was cold in Denver. Most of you can understand this, right? Running outside is unpleasant when 20 degrees or under. Other winters, in Denver, I would be able to jusitify my laziness on the weather. This winter has been mild. Clearly a delay tactic. Pure and Simple.
Or, something would come up--Belize--and my training would take the back burner.
I wasn't completely lazy while in Belize, either. Shari and I went on numerous walkabouts of Caye Caulker. The running part eluded me however. I saw other people running during the day and did not envy their struggle with the combination of heat and humidity.
Then, I returned home and my running partner was extremely busy with her life. Plus, I was uncertain as to if she and Sara were actually going to sign up for this event. As long as they remained indifferent to it, I could delay training for it.
Now, it is officially one month away and I must start running. With or without the assistance of the Goddess, it is time. I believe Lindsay signed up for it, but Sara is a wild card. She is busy with work and preparing for her friend's wedding. To me, what a great way to prepare for a wedding. Training is a great stress reliever and the physical rewards aren't that bad either. I am not counting her out, completely, yet. She might surprise me.
Thankfully, we have a place to stay and I know the course is hilly and a great workout. My quads will be reminding me of it days after the 1/2. All worth it in my mind. Running is amazing. This is the mantra that will now play over and over in my head. I need some motivation to begin the training cycle. With or without my friends, I am committed to this 1/2.

No comments: