Tuesday, March 22, 2011

more dining in Belize















I thought I had more photos from this meal. We considered dining here for the celebration. Italian, wine, on paper, it appeared ideal. They had traditional fare and then offered "twist" items. Basically, they took a traditional dish and added a twist to the meal.

We chose from both sides. Our appetizer was a watermelon, feta cheese salad. It boasted mint, basil, and black pepper too. I liked the idea of the salad. I wanted to love it, but it was predominantly watermelon, some basil, a little mint and feta cheese. Not exactly what it claimed to be. Twist on traditional, though, right? Honestly, had there been more mint, basil and feta to balance the amount of watermelon, I think it would have been delightful.

We selected a bruschetta as well. Simple and delicious. They served bread and olive oil, too. I remember feeling rushed to order. When we entered the establishment, there were three other tables. We ordered the salad and brushchetta and mentioned that we were in no hurry. We wanted to enjoy the meal.

Our server approached us, numerous times, after serving the appetizers, trying to take our menus or force us to order. Somehow, we managed to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Dining outside gave us the ideal spot to people watch and create stories for some of the people vacationing at Caye Caulker. Shari and I were definitely in the minority. Most of the people were familes or young couples. I did see some back packers, but even that seemed limited. We were definitely a rarity.

Eventually, we ordered snapper. The wine continued to flow and we were catching up on respective trips. Shari, like me, enjoys traveling. We met in Las Vegas for my marathon and compared how many trips we had taken in 2010. I think we were neck and neck which bummed both of us out.

Our server was pleasant and initially, overbearing. Like I said, she really wanted us to order. The minute we were served the snapper, she became nonexistent. It was strange, to me, but it happened. The snapper was overcooked and I was disappointed. We finished it and considered dessert. Uninspired, we waited for the check.

Afterwards, I told Shari that I was glad that we had Habanero's to look forward to. It felt like we had made the right decision for Monday night's celebratory meal. Sure, the Italian meal was fine, but I wanted spectacular for the 28th. That, being the five year anniversary deemed a lovely, memorable meal. Brian wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
I need to conclude this to go running. Now that Lindsay is in, I need to focus on the training. There will be more Belize food stories later.

No comments: