Monday, March 21, 2011

more food from Belize....




I miss Caye Caulker.
The other day, I met this couple that was in Belize the same time that I was. Our trips overlapped a couple of days which was ironic. However, they spent some time in San Ignacio which is near the Guatemala border and San Pedro. I suggested checking out Caye Caulker on their next visit. I think they would love it since they are both avid fisherman.
Anyways, the reference to Belize reminded me that I didn't really write much about the food factor. I cannot believe that it has been a month since my trip there. Time flies truly. My first night in Caye Caulker I was by myself. I met two couples on the water taxi over who were from Wisconsin. We traded small talk while waiting for our luggage. Outside of knowing where they were from, I was clueless as to their names, where they were staying, how long they were in Belize, etc.
My hotel was located eight blocks from the water taxi stand. After checking in and showering, I decided to find food. There was a sign offering a beer and a slice for four dollars. Tempted. Really, I was. Yet, I wanted to see what else was available near the hotel.
I stumbled into another small place that had beachside dining and a deal on rum and cokes. I figured if the food looked lame, I could always go to the pizza place. One rum and coke wouldn't kill me.
I walked into the bar, ordered a drink and while I was waiting, one of the guys I saw on the water taxi sauntered up to the bar for refills. I asked him if he was on the water taxi and he goes--yes. Actually, we were just talking about you. My friends and I felt bad that we didn't catch your name or information since we knew that you were by yourself the first night. You should join us. Come have a drink with us.
I did which led to several more. They were great. They dined at Las Olas and I drank. I wasn't quite ready to eat. Afterwards, we headed to Femi's bar for the famous one last drink. I think I had two. I ordered take out since I was beyond hungry at that point. Grilled snapper and rice.
The next morning, I snacked on craisins and almonds. Shari's water taxi would arrive around 3 and I didn't know if she would want to eat then. I checked e-mail, facebook, etc, before they turned the electricity off for 1/2 the island. They needed to change out a transformer and projected that the electricity would be down from 9-2.
I wish it had only been five hours. Instead, it continued until 5ish. I was so thankful for the pool at the hotel. Definitely able to cool off that way.
Shari arrived and we enjoyed nachos at Las Olas. Delightful. They had salsa, many jalapenos and guacamole. I was ecstatic!
That night, we chose Rosie's for dinner. It was near Habanero's that I wanted to check out anyways for the Monday night celebration dinner. Rosie's offered grilled seafood and two sides. We sat down and were informed that we needed to order our fish and then we could choose sides. Shari and I both wanted a shrimp skewer.
The restaurant was packed and the energy great. We sat overlooking the grill guy. In my mind, the perfect spot. I was starving and able to watch the guy cook my food. Talk about ideal. It reminded me of a restaurant in Roatan, Honduras. Los Arcos offered Argentinian fare prepared over a huge grill. Massive open fire grill. Brian and I found it while being certified for scuba diving in 2005. We loved Los Arcos so much that we dined, there, two or three more times. Maybe a return to Roatan is in the works.
The only drawback to Rosie's was the side factor. They had rice and beets, potatoes, or pasta salad. I feared the pasta salad and chose the potato and rice and beets. Too much starch. I thought I could work around it. However, it was rice and dry red beans. Bland.
The shrimp was tasty and I really enjoyed the vibe of the place. On the walk back to the hotel, we stopped by Habanero's to peruse the menu. I wasn't sold on that place, quite yet. We also looked at Don Corleone's. Still undecided, we concluded the night. Shari had an early morning scuba class. I had oodles of time to figure out the food factor.

No comments: