Tuesday, March 22, 2011

more food from Belize






Too many choices in Caye Caulker for food. I think they claimed to offer thirty-seven restaurants. I feel that there were more.



We walked to the Lazy Lizard and had a beer. My Wisconsin friends said that the chicken burritos were excelllent. I can live on mexican food and so I forced Shari to check it out with me. Crowded, with nowhere to sit down. We bought a beer and felt the place out. The energy seemed off to us and so we headed back towards our hotel.

There was a place offering donuts and the shrimp guy. We had walked past him the day before and I will admit, I was intrigued. He had a sign (poorly made) with his offerings. Shrimp on a stick for 5 BLZ dollars. The aroma of grilled shrimp enticed us to his stand one afternoon. After selecting our sticks of shrimp--me, honey bbq, and Shari--cayenne and olive oil, we asked him how he ended up in Caye Caulker. He told us that he arrived with $19 to his name. He had a boat and that was about it. After living off of the sea, for some time, he recognized a need for tourists and discovered a way to sustain his living in Caye Caulker. People bought beer for 5 BLZ dollars. Shrimp could sell, too. Hence, shrimp on a stick. He would stay out at his stand until he sold all of his shrimp or it got dark.
Great concept and a lovely snack.
That night, we dined at Enjoy Bar. Interesting name, true. We had walked by the host, several times, and felt it was time to check it out. Seating was limited. Our options were to sit, inside, under a bright light or up against a tree stump. That won.
We started off with chips and salsa. Decent. I could live off of chips and salsa, truly. I love it that much. We shared a chicken breast and a grilled snapper. Both were accompanied with jasmine rice and vegetables.
Again, the protein was overcooked. I was disappointed as that was the second night in a row where the meal lacked due to being overcooked. I mentioned to Shari that maybe, we should dine at Rosie's since we knew they knew how to cook over a grill.
We concluded the meal with a no-bake cheesecake. It was fine and part of the meal. They had some offer of appetizer and dessert with an entree, I think. Overall, the service was great and I did enjoy the chips and salsa. I remember waiting for the meal and overhearing conversations around us. A couple--I think Norwegian, were sitting near us and some solo guy decided to befriend them. The entire time they tried to eat, he was telling them stories of how bad life in the States was. He mentioned some story of being hassled by cops and this story went on and on and on. I wanted to choke him. He was so annoying. I kept thinking--why don't these people tell him to leave? Boundaries. We all need them. I made a mental note to remember what this clown looked like and make sure that we avoided him like the plague. He had a cast on his right arm. Definitely stood out.
Outside of the weird conversations and overcooked protein, we did enjoy ourselves. Not enough to go back for seconds, mind you, but enough.

No comments: