Tuesday, January 30, 2018

more consideration of travel

More planning and considering trips.  A friend of mine from high school is hiking the Appalachian Trail beginning in March.  She gave notice to her job in ABQ and has been planning this adventure for about 8 months.  I ran into her last July in Kansas where we were attending a memorial service for a classmate of ours.  I met Brian in middle school and the three of us all attended KU.  Jennifer was his roommate their freshman year of college.  His death was shocking to us and a reminder that we are all mortal.  And, the people that attended were all either high school classmates or from college.  I hadn't seen some of these people since I was 18 years old.  It was nuts!
At any rate, she mentioned her plans then and asked me if I would be willing to meet up with her somewhere on the East Coast.  It seemed reasonable to think about Washington D.C. as we have other friends from high school there and I have a girlfriend from Denver that lives there now.  I could see Jennifer and Megan, too.  It will be fantastic!  It's been years since I have been to D.C.  I think my last trip was 2009 or 2010.  I remember I was training for a marathon and so I did run in the city to a certain degree and I met up with an ex-boyfriend from college.  (complete other story outside of the fact that it reminded me why we broke up in the first place.  He had issues to contend with and I was a good distraction.  We could meet in other cities and check them out together.)  He met me in D.C. for a few days and we explored the city and eventually met up with my friend, Megan, and her husband Mark.  I found that I did enjoy D.C..  All of the public transportation, monuments, restaurants and vibe in general.  I welcome the opportunity to return.  Maybe check out Virginia, too.  I try to go new places each year.   As noted, I always return to certain cities--Santa Fe, Phoenix, Portland, Kansas--for an array of reasons.  Family, yoga or just needing a quick trip.  Santa Fe is 5 hours from Denver.  Super convenient to drive there and explore the restaurant scene or head to Ojo Caliente.  I enjoy doing this and also discovering more cities.  Last year, I went to Palm Springs and Colombia.  Also, I returned to Los Angeles and it had been years since my last visit.  I spent five days in Venice before I left for my six month adventure around the world.  Quick departure tour that time around and it has evolved as cities do.  Palm Springs, Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley were all intriguing and more spiritual than I anticipated.  So, yes, I enjoy returning to cities and incorporating new ones into my tours.  Nashville is new to me and I will check it out next month.  Then, Puerto Rico which is also new to me.  I keep thinking about Texas.  Maybe Houston.  Another lost city to me, lol. I love Austin and could definitely return there.  In Dallas, Hailey is there.  I could perhaps meet up with her or convince her to join me in Houston.  I really want to go there.  I keep meeting people who are from there and they rave about the restaurant scene.  It is a possibility for sure.  And, another friend of mine lives there.  Actually, my older sister's best friend lives there.   I haven't seen Kristin in years but we are friendly on social media and exchange Christmas cards.  My hope is that Michaela would join us and we could do a girls' trip.  Maybe?  I keep trying to wear my sister down.  It might happen.
I have some travel planned and more to consider.  I do think D.C. will happen.  I would like to arrange a trip to Phoenix to do yoga and go consignment store shopping.  I always have success in finding great attire at some of their shops.  And it is reasonable as opposed to some of the availability in Denver.  I think it is more affordable to buy new in some cases.
I am off to work and enjoy my Tuesday.  Maybe catch some Pho or bbq.  Cheers!

No comments: