Sunday, September 5, 2010

More funday

After Swanson, I felt I should return to Healdsburg. Of course, I love Napa--too much, normally--but, since my hotel was in Healdsburg, I left Napa to return to Sonoma. I wanted to be a responsible adult, make a responsible decision and head back north.
Plus, Sonoma has wineries, too.
I drove the Petrified Forest Road back to Healdsburg and checked out a few more wineries close to the hotel--Matrix and Seghesio. Of all of the places that I checked out, Unti, was by far, the best wine followed by Cakebread and Seghesio. I was surprised since it was near my hotel--300 yards--and I had never checked out any of their wines. I suppose I didn't know. I had not researched their options and was pleasantly surprised to taste their wine. Yes, Seghesio was a find.
Matrix Vineyards used to be Rabbit Ridge. It is located in western galong a super curvy road. I had stopped into Hopkiln Winery, but chose to not taste there. I did not like the vibe or insane amount of people trying to taste their wine. I continued to Matrix, sampled, and left unsated.
Afterwards I walked into town to make a reservation at Scopa. Several people had mentioned how awesome that restaurant was as opposed to going to Ravenous. According to one girl--Ravenous was good in its day, but Scopa is excellent.
I took her advice and dined at Scopa for dinner. Small, intimate, bar seating with limited by the glass options. Still, perfect in its own way.
I tried the beet salad, meatballs and bread with olive oil. Lovely. The bartender, Ian, was fabulous, too. He was engaging, knowledgeable and attentive. Granted, the bar is super small. He couldn't escape.
Yes, I will return to Scopa in October with my girl friends. I believe they will enjoy the fare as well.
All in all, Sunday Funday in Healdsburg was hugely wine friendly and successful. If only, I lived closer to wine country.......

No comments: