Thursday, September 30, 2010

Still looking for a race?

I never thought I would be a runner. Seriously.
Not once, did I envision planning travel around races or traveling to cities to do a race. Funny, how time changes everything.
2010 presented ample opportunities for destination travel or tackling a later race to enjoy a summer/fall training season. I considered the Phoenix Marathon--January 2011, or Las Vegas and opted for Vegas. The food factor, alone, enticed me. Phoenix will be a possibility dependent on how I feel post-marathon. I used to live in Tempe and so I have friends, food options and a fondness for the city. Not to live there, again, but to visit or vacation. I have many close friends there.
I support destination races. If I had not signed up for the Healdsburg Half (October 30th), I think I would have considered the New York Marathon. Who wouldn't want to run there? I mean, it's New York. Talk about a spectator supported race. Food, Central Park, music, recruiting spectators to join you on your 1/2 or full marathon. I could go on and on.
I bring it up, today, since the Fresh Air Fund is again, looking for support. They need runners to run for them, sponsors, host families. Check it out---http://freshair.org/racers. Last year, they raised $400,000. Help them surpass that amount. They need it and it feels amazing to give back to the community. Or, if you run, sign up and give your support that way.
For me, a New York run will be at a later date. Still, definitely in my future....

No comments: