Sunday, September 5, 2010

My kind of Sunday Funday.....

A week ago, I was drinking coffee from the Flying Goat Coffeehouse in Healdsburg. I miss California.
I walked up to the Plaza and saw a farmer's market, field of flowers, locals, tourists, and drank the amazing coffee from The Coffee shop--Flying Goat.
I had set up an appointment at Unti Winery. Eleven a.m. seemed like an ideal time to begin my wine tastings. I drove up to Lake Sonoma and past several wineries and one gourmet market. On the way back to Unti (trying to kill time), I stopped in the market and found breakfast burritos, cheese, sandwiches, coffee and array of items that would be fantastic in a picnic or a getaway at Lake Sonoma. I cannot wait for the Healdsburg Half to do just that--picnic at the lake with wine and friends.
Unti had a wonderful selection of red wines. The tasting room was super casual and welcoming. I met the wine maker, Alex, and tasting host, Ryan. Both had knowledge of restaurants in the city and the area. Plus, I was entertained throughout the tasting and didn't really want to leave. I would have preferred opening a bottle of wine to driving to Napa. The wine was fantastic and I loved the vineyard.
However, I drove to Napa to keep the appointment at Cakebread Winery. I met a wine rep and one of the owners of Cakebread while at a wine dinner at Solera. The rep set up a tasting for me at Cakebread and I intended to keep it.
Cakebread is in Napa, between Oakville and Rutherford. I arrived, promptly at one, since I drove past the winery the first go around. I knew that if I made it to Oakville Grocery I past it. Oakville Grocery is a gem of a store with wine, gourmet products, olive oil, coffee and cheese. Delicious and a find when in Napa.
I checked in to Cakebread and waited for the rest of my group to arrive. We did the tasting in the garden. Absolutely beautiful grounds and delightful wine. I prefer smaller groups or intimate tastings to ask questions, pick the person's brain regarding other places to see, check out or dine. In group situations, it depends on the attitude of the group. My group wanted to hear themselves talk. Meaning, I couldn't wait to divorce myself, from them, to seek out solitary refuge of a one on one conversation with another person.
Thankfully, I was able to do that.
I met Jeff--one of the check-in clerks. I mentioned his name since apparently there are several Jeff's that work for Cakebread. The one I spoke with directed me to check out Swanson Winery. Plus, he gave me the Napa pamphlet with advertisements, maps and wineries. A wealth of information, I would say.
More later. Work is calling.....

No comments: