Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Coming to fruition

I want my friends to enjoy our trip to Napa. I know we are not going to have enough time to sample all of the wine that I would like to drink. There are four of us which will slow us down, somewhat. More conversation, bathroom breaks and staying the intended course.
I was able to arrange a few wine tastings through acquaintances that I have met through wine dinners, industry, and other friends.
I know that I am fortunate. I do.
However, I was dismayed after calling a specific winery. I explained that they had been recommended as an excellent winery by a friend of mine. I mentioned that I was industry and hoped to arrange a tasting for myself and three of my friends.
I was told that the tasting fee was $45 per person. What?
She told me that I would need to speak to the rep before they could waive the fee for me. My friends would still be responsible for the cash---$135 total.
It's too much. You sample three vintages, some cheese and pay $45. And, it isn't an enormous amount of wine free poured. Ridiculous!
The woman was friendly and so I kept my concerns to myself. All I know is that I did not contact the rep. Instead, I sought out another winery and made plans to taste on Saturday.
I tried to make dinner reservations at Bouchon for Saturday night. Unfortuantely, I waited too long. The only available table was at ten pm. I cannot wait that long. Nor my friends.
I think we are going to check out ZuZu for tapas and wine. Or, Redd.
There is always Sunday for Bouchon.
And, we are going the responsible route. Sara Jo hired a car to drive us around Napa on Sunday. It is worth it. As much as we want to enjoy Napa, without a driver, one of us would have to not drink the wine.
This is not an option for me. I had the idea of this 1/2 Marathon since it focused on wine and is located near one of my favorite cities in the world.
Hotel reserved for San Fran.
T-shirt being made and (hopefully) picked up tomorrow.
Yes, the starts have aligned and Napa will be a successful race, weekend, trip.

No comments: