Thursday, October 21, 2010

Massage

Izba. I love it. Normally.
I look forward to my massage appointments. I believe in bodywork and support that venture as often as possible. Izba is a treat for me since it is a little spendy. Completely worth it though.
Tonight, I walked in Izba and realized that the therapist that would be working on me was my least favorite at Izba. He talks too much. He thinks he is a comedian and talks throughout the entire process. And, last time, while working on my soaze, I cried. I was emotional--not hurt--but, it bothered him. He felt really bad that I was crying. This shut him up, though, which was the one positive of my last massage with him.
I think we both recognized each other and knew that this massage would be challenging. I wanted to overcome the feeling of dread and enjoy the massage.
Thankfully, in his initial attempts to engage me with conversation, he realized that I was not interested in talking. The massage was fine and I love the Boukreev Treatment that they offer. It consists of two banya sessions with a massage in between. A Banya session is where you lay down on your stomach in a dry sauna. They add peppermint to the heat and eventually, after 8 minutes, take oak leaves and beat your back. The banya finishes with a layer of honey being applied to your body. The whole process detoxes and revitalizes your senses and skin. Truly, I feel amazing right now.
I made it through the massage and was able to enjoy it. I did try to meditate to look beyond the therapist factor. Sure, some people enjoy talking while receiving a massage, but not me. I think it is distracting and if I wanted to talk to someone, I would make an appointment with my hair dresser. She talks, nonstop, and is extremely entertaining. While receiving a massage, I want to zone out and focus on how great I am feeling. Not talk about mundane crap or hear a comedy routine.
Next time, I will be proactive and ask who my therapist is or request one that I prefer. There are solutions to this obstacle.....

No comments: