Friday, October 1, 2010

Positive outcomes

This training cycle has produced different outcomes than last year's.
First of all, I am more comfortable as a runner. If I wake up, hungover (yes, this happens from time to time---I am a wine drinker) I still get up and go. Whereas, last year, I was able to talk myself out of the run. I found multiple reasons why I should remain in bed/on the couch, with gatorade and nursing the self-induced state. I could go later. I will go tomorrow. I will go longer if I do not go today.
Second, I have more running dates. Yay--for running with others! There is the Goddess. Although, since she isn't training for anything, we can be extremely lazy. Or, I feel lazy. I know I can talk her into a walkabout instead of staying the course.
Sara Jo is a new runner and so she is fun to run with...always wanting to go, go farther, faster, pushing me, myself, to better myself.
Jamie, from Team in Training, and I have reconnected. I saw her at the Georgetown-Idaho Springs 1/2 and it motivated me to seek her out. We live near each other and she is a consistent pacer. On time and always up for a run. Each week, I know, that I can plan a running date with Jamie.
Now, there is Grady, who I ran with a few Saturdays ago--the Barefoot Runner. I think I can learn to appreciate running in a different way from running with him. Maybe I will try barefoot running.
I am realizing that I am truly benefitting from each person's unique sense of style when it comes to running and I am developing my own. I feel amazing!
There is more opportunity to travel with running. I love Destination Races and hope to do a few next year. I haven't been to Moab. I am fairly certain there is a race there that would be enticing. Or, International Races would be awesome. My friend, Shar, lives in the Bahamas and her boyfriend is a runner that has done the Bahamas Marathon. Wouldn't that be amazing? Run the race and reward self with water like glass post race. I think I would plan on a two week recovery there. Fully utilize the healing effects of water. And, potential for tan, snoreling, friendship.
Yes, I am seeing changes in myself that are more positive in regards to running. I am still a student but passing on my knowledge to new runners and other friends that questioning this path of health. I guess I am resourceful....

1 comment:

Nancy said...

My husband uses those weird barefoot shoes to run. He really likes them. I'm happy just to get my rear on the treadmill. I always admire runners.