Sunday, September 4, 2011

First ever sighting



This is what greeted me when I stepped out of the hotel in Sedona. My first, ever, up close and personal tarantula sighting.

I think I jumped. Gasped. Tried to run out of the way. Wearing heels, of course, and thankfully managed to not trip and fall in my attempt to get as far away as possible. However, that would have made for a great story/blog recount. Instead, I watched it and recoiled as it crept towards us. I moved a few steps, farther, and then thought to find my camera.

This is the best I could do. I would not move closer to capture a more pure photo of this creature that invokes fear in me. Unadalterated fear. Irrational. For instance, I imagine this creature trying to jump on my leg even though, somewhere in the back of my mind, I know that this will not occur. Still, I cannot get any closer.

If I could return to that moment, I would have moved closer to see what would happen. Embrace my fear and see what could happen. No. I am not saying that I hope this recurs any time soon. Only, that I should have taken a deep breath, relaxed, and moved closer.

I suppose it is forcing me to reassess my lack of creativity lately. Spider crossings inspire creativity, for me. What inspires you to be creative?

No comments: