Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thinking of my roots

This is a photo of my grandparents on their wedding day.  I was fortunate, enough, to scan a copy of this when we were putting together a commemorative dvd for my dad's 60th birthday.  I e-mailed my aunt's, uncle, siblings and stepmom hoping to create an array of photos from my dad's life.
This is one of my favorites of the photos I received.  I knew my grandfather.  I don't have many memories of him as I was three when he died.  I remember being tricked into taking a nap and then he and Michaela would sneak off while I napped.  My grandmother, on the other hand, took care of us during the summer vacations for a couple of weeks.  She let me drink coffee in a blue cup when I was a kid and made the best spaghetti.
She walked, daily, and led a peaceful life.  Always helping with church functions, attending service and writing her grandkids and I'm sure, children.  Faithfully, on my birthday and at christmas, I would receive a card and a cash gift.  She was honest, frugal and kind.  Her example of living inspired me to always take care of myself as she did.  I try to not live outside of my means and for the most part, I do.  Sometimes, I am extravagant and impulsive.  However, I always know, that I am responsible for myself.  Asking my parents for a loan is out of the question and it is not a possible solution.  I am capable and expected to take care of myself.
When I was a kid, sure, I didn't understand why all of my friends received allowance and I did not.  Now, I am grateful for my upbringing, my parents and my roots.
Cheers and enjoy your start to 2013~

No comments: