Tuesday, June 24, 2014

How I spend this Tuesday

I'm bracing for a long day of work.  I am working a double and as much as I am thankful for the work, I am not looking forward to a long day of serving.  Especially when I normally have Tuesday nights off.  Tonight is special as there is a large party which pretty much ensured that every single server is required to work.  My friend, Lisa, is in town and I had made plans to join her and some of her supplier friends for dinner.  I was looking forward to spending time with them.  I miss Lisa.  In Phoenix, I spent quite a bit of time at her house, drinking wine and lounging by the pool.  She is a good friend and I miss spending time with her.  So, I was looking forward to having dinner, this evening, with her and her friends.  I didn't ask off as I had not been scheduled on a Tuesday night shift for the last month.  I didn't think it would be an issue.  I didn't take into account the possibility of a large party.  Damn!
Then, I scrambled to barter with any available server.  The one guy, Joshua, works at another restaurant.  I knew it would be a tough sell for him to give up his lucrative shift for a party shift for me.  Still, I tried.  It was a lame effort.  I knew, going in, that he would not work for me so that I could go to dinner with my friends.  The other available guy is an older gentleman who strictly works days. He will work nights if completely necessary.  I thought, maybe, I would be able to convince him to work for me.  I didn't factor in that, he, too, had other sources of employment.  He does caterings for one of his neighbors.  My options were diminished and so I chose to inform Lisa that I would not be joining her for dinner.  She was like--okay, no problem.  I suppose I was disappointed at her reaction.  I miss my friends and was bummed that I would lose the opportunity at a night to be normal.  I mean, Lisa knows me.  Knows that I get silly after a few glasses of wine.  Last week, while in ABQ at the wine dinner, I definitely hit my wall right as the meal ended.  I walked back to my hotel and the next day, Lisa, commented on it.  Not in a negative way but in a knowing way.  I haven't established that with anyone in SF yet and so I looked forward to having a nice meal with friends that know me.
I went running to start my day.  Of course, I hit snooze, several times, before actually making it out the door.  I cursed the fact that I had not yet bought gum.  It is a psychological thing.  I feel that I will enjoy my run better if I have gum to chew.  Silly, but a true thing in my flirtation with running.  I need gum!
It was a beautiful morning and I feel better going.  Although it will be a long day of work, I am happy.  Happy to be here, happy to have went running and happy to maybe see my friend later.  Life is grand and I feel fantastic~

No comments: