Monday, September 29, 2014

birthday dinner

Melody's boyfriend picked me up and dropped us off at a lovely french place. I had made the necessary reservations for a seven o'clock seating.  I thought that would give me ample time to decompress from wine and chile if need be.  I didn't know what form I would be.  Given the previous day, I wanted to avoid another night like that.  In my space between the festival and meeting Melody for dinner, I walked around the plaza.  I drank another americano and saw an artist friend of mine.  She sets up a booth every weekend.  I dropped by, briefly.  I saw her make a sale and chose to not interrupt that sale.
I met Lisa and her people for a quick drink.  I enjoyed spending time with them at the festival and wanted to let her know how thankful I was to attend.  The least I could do was meet them for a drink before I met Melody for dinner.  I had invited Lisa to join us but since she was hosting people, she couldn't break away. I think they were dining at a tapas place.
We started with a glass of bubbly and a cheese plate.  Marcona almonds, dijon mustard, crisps and four different cheeses.  Blue, triple cream, taleggio and manchego.  Delicious. Next, we tried the grilled octopus with a chick pea puree.  I don't think Melody was sold on the idea of the octopus but I was stubborn.  It was fantastic.
I chose a bottle of cote du Rhone and our feast continued.  I felt like a chinon but Melody preferred something lighter.  I compromised.
We had a golden beet and asparagus salad.  Another treat that I was glad we chose.  We concluded with the steak au poivre.  By far, the most disappointing part of the meal.  The fries were fantastic.  The steak was a poor cut.  Both of us had the unfortunate experience of biting into the piece and spitting it out.  Classy, right?  It was unavoidable however.  The steak was not good.
We walked over to a hotel bar and had a few additional glasses of wine.  I like extending my celebrations as much as I can.  Thankfully, Clayton picked us up and dropped me off without incident.  We considered meeting for a morning yoga class.  I knew that I would want to go to work off the excessive eating of the previous days.  I made it to class.  Melody overslept.
I had another day off to continue celebrating. I headed to Ojo to soak and it was one of the best decisions I have made.  Excellent way to rejuvenate, refresh, relax.  I think I might be doing a cleanse to equalize.  Well, that and I want to look good in my bikini once I make it to the Bahamas.  My idea of a birthday present to myself this year.  Last weekend was excessive and fun.  I am glad that I had the opportunity to celebrate in style with friends.
Now, I must return to the real world of work.  Til later, cheers!

No comments: