Thursday, July 31, 2008

Peace and serenity

I attended a yoga class this morning and the instructor wanted us to find peace within ourselves in that hour of class. She is experiencing a transitional phase in her life and wanted to share it with us as well as encourage us to go through a similar process.
A nice thought, but an hour doesn't really cut it. I am more peaceful due to sleep, vitamins, antibiotics and the knowledge that I have a full day ahead of me.
I was angry the other day about the lack of courtesy, but our dinner party was great. It was exactly how it was supposed to be. Chichi and I started with a beautiful red zinfandel and I prepped the vegetables and tended to the sashimi grade tuna. Rick came over, we fed him edamame and sliced tomatoes with garlic, basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. We opened a bottle of wine from Australia, Red Knot, and I told them that I had been to that winery. It was nostalgic for me and almost a tribute to my world wide adventure.
Next, I prepared the tuna. I seared it and only overcooked my piece to medium rare. I was more careful with theirs and it was a fantastic meal. I chose a sauvignon blanc from New Zealand for this course and it was awesome. We finished the meal with key lime pie and chocolate mousse that Rick brought for us from Whole Foods. I felt comfortable in the kitchen and wanting to do it again and soon. I was fortunate to be able to live with Brian for three years. I could have learned so much more from him, if I had paid attention. Instead, I was more interested in his creations and being catered to.
I hope to learn and make my own way in the kitchen. I do enjoy it, now!

No comments: