Thursday, October 9, 2008

Civic responsibility

I am a registered voter.
I have no interest in standing in line, though. I went yesterday to get a mail-in ballot. It was simple and efficient. I felt great that I was responsible, ensuring that my vote would count. Sometimes, I procrastinate, but I am passionate about this particular election. I figure that if I don't vote, I cannot bitch about the outcome.
Anyways, I returned to my car and it wouldn't start. I was bummed because I had no idea how to diagnose the problem. The security guard offered to jump my car, but that didn't work. I left it in the lot, with the intention of returning to fix it later.
I walked to work, cursing the situation the entire way. I take good care of my volvo and I suppose it is another reminder of what I miss with Brian gone. He always took care of me and my car. He enjoyed the oil changes, waxing and keeping her healthy. He always stressed how important it was to take care of the car.
I was able to pick it up last night and now it is home, safe. It started last night and so I believe it was a fluke.
I thought it was ironic that I was trying to be responsible, civically, and the result was that I walked to work.

No comments: