Thursday, October 8, 2009

Change the World Wednesday.....a day late, but still here.....

On August 29th, I sat in Logan International Airport.
I arrived early, ate guacamole and pico de gallo at Todd English's place, Bonfire. I needed it. I was a little abusive on my body and chips and salsa are always my savior.
Anyways, I was near my gate, in a skirt. I tend to wear a skirt while flying. I figure that if I make an effort, I will get better service. No, I don't put on makeup or do it up, that way. Instead, I wear a skirt and try to look presentable.
I was sitting at the gate, and noticed a piece of trash on the floor. I wanted to pick it up, but the skirt was preventing me from bending over, much. Then, I was intrigued by all of the other people that saw it, and refused to pick it up. It became a game to me. I wanted to see how long it would take before someone would actually pick the wrapper up.
An hour later, this woman picked it up.
I thanked her. I noted that I had seen several people walk by it, and refuse to bend down and pick it up. She probably thought I, too, was lazy or crazy. Either way, I hadn't done anything to rectify the situation.
How often do you walk by trash and not pick it up?
This week's Change the World Wednesday Challenge involves being physical and capable of picking up trash. Either place it in a bin, or be more environrmentally responsible, and recycle it. For one hour a day, or each day for a week, go outside. Enjoy the sunshine and pick up the trash that you encounter. Try it. You will feel better and this leads to a cleaner neighborhood.
Enjoy the challenge. I think you will be surprised at much trash you encounter and how many people walk by it and assume it isn't their job to beautify the neighborhood.

No comments: