Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tapering...

It feels weird to not be running like i am used to.
Although, due to my tendon bruise, I need the taper, now, not before, and definitely not after. I think back to how foolish the injury was--me, sorta running and feeling free that we were stopping for the day. Next thing I know, I step down funny and since then have had several days of walking in pain. I feel like I need a cane, sometimes.
It probably doesn't help that I am constantly on my feet. I do wear "good" shoes, but honestly, taking days off would help me in the recovery. I know that I need to take it easy to prep for the race.
It isn't easy. I want to run. I want to run with the Goddess, but my foot hurts and so our last two runs have been short.
I will get through this and I am looking forward to the marathon. I am looking forward to crossing the finish line. I am no longer obsessed with finishing in a certain amount of time. I want to enjoy the marathon and finish it. If I do another one, I will concern myself with a personal best. Heck, I might only do one in my life. I don't know. I want to concentrate on the present and this race, not the future.
In other news...my dad and Dori are in town for the race for the cure. I am super excited to see them and also participate in that race. I attended the one in 2006 along with 70,000 other people. The energy was charged and people were wanting to find a cure for breast cancer. I am grateful to be part of this and walking with my dad and Dori. Dori is a survivor.
This evening, we are heading to Elway's for supper. Of course, this is always my idea of a great time. I cannot wait to see what they think of the steak. Elway's is a constant in my book for entertaining as some of you know.
Have a wonderful night. I am icing my foot, hoping to feel better before we dine out.

2 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Good for you girl! Focus on getting better and having fun at the marathon!!! I had a slew of comments after I announced "my plan" and a few emails from experienced marathoners that told me it was the best advice they could ever give any first time marathoner but that most don't listen. Enjoy your marathon and think about the future when it's over until then, live in the moment! Feel better!

harmony said...

thank you, Morgan. I appreciate your support and suggestions. I cannot wait to hear how the Chicago Marathon goes for you. Very excited for you!
Yes, I am resting, and telling myself that I am okay. I am determined to do this. I will run the marathon.