Tuesday, October 20, 2009

the music factor

My long run, prior to the Marathon, was ipodless. The last 5 miles were trying, but I managed.
Still, for the marathon, I wanted my ipod.
The night before, it tried to corrupt itself. I was prepared to buy a new one to keep my mind at ease. It corrected and Sunday, I think I turned it on after potty break number 1 in the race.
I started with The Black Eyed Peas since they had been so motivating during training. At City Park, I changed it up and put it on purchased. I think the first song was the Talking Heads, Psycho Killer, which for some reason really did its job. A few times, I heard and it always put me in a happy place.
Later, I heard Raspberry Beret, by Prince. Immediately, I remember a New Year's Eve, a few years ago. I think it was 2007. I went to a Nuggets game and afterwards, my sisters, Michaela and Jade, called me to wish me a happy new year. First, though, they serenaded me with Raspberry Beret. I completely cracked up while running the other day.
Then, Baby Got Back, which is a tribute to Hailey. She adores that song. It played at her wedding and she sang to the words and danced. I had to have it on the ipod.
And, yes, I like Kanye West. Let me clarify...I like some of his music. I am not a fan of him as a person, per se, but I do like Stronger, Flashing Lights and Love Lockdown. Specifically, Stronger really inspired me to run.
Of course, I had moments of Juanes, Mana and other latin american artists. When I approached the finish line, I listened to As Far as I can see, by the Band That Saved the World. It is band from college and I've always enjoyed that song.
The ipod did its job. I was so thankful for it.
And, yes, I am now a marathon finisher. It didn't completely sink in, until today. And, I want another shot at it. I feel I have it in me and I do enjoy running. I am not one of those that grimaces the entire time. I did this for me and I will continue to run for me. I think I might register for the Napa-Sonoma 1/2 which is July 18, 2010. I love the idea of destination races especially when it involved wine. Watch out World!!!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

I love music! I don't understand people who don't seem to get it. Music takes you back to those special places of our past, enjoying the people we were with, it almost makes you remember every single thing about that moment. I'm sure every song you played during your marathon will bring those special memories back for you. I'm glad 'Baby Got Back' helped...and so happy it got a play in your momentous occasion. Congrats again ROCK STAR!

Speaking of music...I listen to 90s alot on my XM...and many songs have been taking me back to our Rumors days...GASP! Love ya!