Friday, October 9, 2009

More resting will lead to a better run on Race Day

I am bored.
I have been looking at blogs since I don't have cable and this book, The Shack, that my aunt lent me, is taking a while to grab my attention. Seriously, I don't know if I will be able to get into this story. The writing is dry. I pick it up, read a few pages and put it back down. It seems dreadful.
I found this list of top 10 reasons you know you are over training at the Running Laminator's blog. He is a serious runner, preparing for the NYC marathon. He logs his miles for the year and is more of a runner than I currently am. I mean, I am a runner and I am determined to finish the Denver Marathon. I am not logging my miles or concerned with the time I finish the marathon in...I just want to finish.
Anyways, there were two that I could identify with---you are more concerned with the miles you'll miss than the throbbing in your foot; and you limp to work, everyday, and convince your co-workers and yourself that it is okay...both of these are true in my world. This soft tissue injury has up and down days. Yesterday, I felt fantastic. I could walk. I felt normal. Today, there is a little discomfort. It is manageable and again, feels better than previous mornings. I haven't had ibuprofen for a few days either. I don't want to make that a habit.
So, yes, another day of rest.
I have some errands to run--change of address, internet assistance since my modem doesn't want to work and some grocery shopping. All in all, it is another day of rest and trying to not feel bad that I cannot run. Some of my non-runner friends are concerned with the after effects of the marathon. What they don't understand is that I have trained for this. I am ready. Everyone sustains some sort of injury, at some point. My first injury was a case of shin splints or so I thought. Really, it was just that I hadn't allowed myself to rest between running, yoga and running. I felt that I had to keep going and my body wasn't used to that yet.
Next, I incurred heel spurs on my right foot. This one was longer and I always wanted to pop my heel. I wore shoes, around my house, at all times and stretched my achilles tendon, ad nauseum.
Following that, I had a minor hip flexor issue, on the right side. Again, these injuries were associated with lack of stretching and all on my right leg. About 6 weeks ago, I tweaked my left foot and it has remained with me. I can still run and yes, there are days when I can't walk, much, but I am doing this. I will not quit! I am a runner, now, and I want to complete the marathon.
I look forward to the finish line and the massage at Izba---cannot wait for that! This might be the only one and I must do it!

No comments: