Wednesday, October 14, 2009

pre race thoughts and other considerations

I have been preoccupied with running, the weather and work.
I have been reading blogs regarding marathons and am so proud of Morgan, at Caution: Red Head Running. She completed the Chicago Marathon on Sunday and had an awesome recap. Check it out---http://cautionredheadrunning.blogspot.com. Truly, she rocked her race.
I admire her for not only doing it, but being supportive of so many other runners too. She remembers their respective races, in addition, to focusing on her goal. She is honest with her thoughts and fears and overall, a very positive blogger.
I had other friends run the Chicago Marathon. A friend of mine, Lance, from high school, competed and finished strong, too. He was a little more competitive with his training, than I wanted to be. He has dealt with knee issues for the last few months and so I am proud of him for completing his goal too.
Myself, I know the Denver Marathon is Sunday. I am ready.
I am mentally ready for it. It is time.
I have been cross training since Saturday. I should have been doing it for the last 3 weeks. Instead, I convinced myself, that I could run. I would run, feel fantastic, and then be unable to walk afterwards for a few days.
I felt that it was all part of the injury process. I felt it was okay to eat ibuprofen; although, it goes against everything that I believe in. I know that pills mask injury. I know that my system does not welcome that substance, readily, into my body. I'll be honest, though, ibuprofen did ease the stiffness/pain associated with my tendon.
My aunt kept telling me....ice, rest, elevate, apple cider vinegar. I was doing those things, and I still wanted to run. I felt guilty for missing days.
On Saturday, the Saturday where the Rockies canceled their playoff game, at 8 in the morning, I went to my group training and conferred with my coach. He said to cross train, not run, until the marathon. He said--you are ready. The training is there and yes, you sustained an injury. But, come race day, your adrenaline will propel you through it and you will be fine. It isn't life altering. You can do this.
I am cross training. I really loathe the stationary bike. A few more days and then the marathon.
The Goddess contacted me via facebook to remind me that after our races--hers is the Nike San Francisco Marathon--we will run at least once every week, together. I realized that I am runner. It will continue to be part of my life even if this is my only marathon.
I am concerned about the weather. Last weekend was chilling and I am not a fan of running when it is 18 degrees. Initially, the forecast was 65 and rain. On Monday, I was told it was 65 and clear. We will see. I am hoping for the clear weather. Either way, rain or shine, Sunday is in 3 days and I cannot wait to run. I am glad that soon I won't be a slave to the stationary bike.
Enjoy your day. I apologize for taking a break, but it happens.

No comments: