Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Trusting your gut...

As November beckons, my desire to move dwindles.
I am a principled girl and so I have to move forward with this. I know it. I cannot stay in this rental with the slumlord. Or, the new tenants that never take out the trash, move their laundry or pick up after their dogs. There are firebombs all over the front yard.
I digress.
I had two visits last week and so my blogging suffered as I rushed to make sure that everyone's individuals needs were met.
My first guest was simple--wine, some food and a computer. I was able to work and continue on with my life, plus, run and ice the foot.
The next visit required a little more finesse. My dad and his wife visited and I gave them my room since it has a bed. I opted to sleep on the couch and I believed it would ensure hospitality for both of us. There were some glitches---bathroom light left on to glare on me at 5 am--multiple days, but overall, I believe my parents liked my rental property. I know that the stairs scared them, as they do everyone, but they made do and liked my place.
I love the space, but again, my landlord is a slumlord and so I must move.
I perused Craig's list and found a few listings that seemed worth my while. I am location specific. I enjoy being north of Wash Park, but south of Capitol Hill. I must have a parking space, off street, and laundry on location seemed necessary too. I'll be honest, I like being near Speer Blvd so that I can walk home from Elway's too. I know, it seems superficial, and it is, but I like being able to walk everywhere I need to be.
I set up an appointment at an apartment, about 5 blocks from me. They had parking, free cable, paid utilities and it meets other criteria regarding location. Yesterday, I found a house listing that intrigued me. It is in Capitol Hill, but had a parking space. I set the appointment up and when I walked in, I knew it was my next home. The price was right, it had parking and it had built in cabinents from the original building. The bedroom is super small, but they also have a sun room. I liked it. I liked the landlord and I felt comfortable there. I filled out the application and told the guy, that I had one more place to look at, but felt that I would be calling him at 6, to confirm my desire to rent from him.
I went to the apartment. The bedroom was larger, it had 5 closets, very clean, beautiful view of the mountains, laundry, cable and parking. It also had a weird vibe about it. I felt stifled. More so, after the landlord ushered me into his place to meet the owner of the building. It appeared to be a surprise attack. She explained that she would need $450 for a deposit and 45 minutes of my time to go through the lease. She asked repetitive questions and seemed concern about how I would afford the apartment. She wanted me to move in on the 23rd since that is when her lease starts. She seemed appalled that I wouldn't be able to move until the end of the month. She told me she would prorate that time since they would be holding the unit for me.
I got this odd feeling like I was in a bad 60's film noir film. I told her that I would call him to set up an appointment for the lease go through just so that I could leave. I would have done anything to get out of that building.
I called my sister. I called my aunt. I called Shari. I called my reader. No one answered.
I called the landlord at the house property and told him that I wanted to move in. He called me back and told me that he would hold the place for me, let me move in a few days prior, and had put secure locks on the windows since he knew I was concerned about it. I knew that I had made the right decision.
So, I will live in Capitol Hill for the first time, ever, in Denver. I look forward to finding the nuances of that neighborhood. I prefer living in homes. I don't know that I could go back to apartment living after 3 consecutive happy living in rental homes.
I will catch up more later. I am still icing and resting the foot. I went for a 30 minute run yesterday and it felt great. The race is on the 18th....

2 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Congrats on the new digs! Sounds like you picked the right place, you must have a good vibe if you're going to make it "home"

harmony said...

absolutely. I love it. I like the landlord. I love the space and according to my aunt, the sun room will be ideal for all of my plants--even the ones, I have conveniently left at her place.
I am superexcited to check out my new surroundings. Plus, I am closer to City Park and Cheesman Park.