Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Continuing the car drama

I call my insurance company and inquire about my roadside assistance. Thankfully, when I became a member, I opted to purchase full coverage for my volvo. I spoke with a customer service agent. I explained that I needed my car towed to my mechanic's shop since I was unable to enter the car. I had the keys. No, the issue wasn't about locking my keys in the car. I was unable to get into my car due to the lock being broken on the passenger side and the handle broke on the driver side. I was clear on that. There was no misunderstanding as to why I would need roadside assistance.
The lady told me that they could set up the tow, but that I would need to be available for at least an hour from the initial phone call to the towing company. I knew that Monday was a wash since I had to work a double. I decided to call--first thing--Tuesday morning. That way, the towing company could get to my house, take my car and I would have enough time to walk to work. Or, if they were late, Sara Jo, could handle the transaction. And since I had already notified the insurance company of my situation, the call on Tuesday would be shorter. I wouldn't have to go through all of the paperwork to get my car towed.
Monday night, I went to a wine tasting fundraiser at Solera. I was supposed to work, but didn't feel like it. I convinced a co-worker to work for me. I walked home from the day shift and assessed my timing situation. The fundraiser started at 5 and ended at 7 pm. I could take the bus to Solera instead of walking or hiring a cab. I showered, texted my friend to let him know that I was taking the bus and headed out to Colfax.
I support public transportation and walk, frequently. I have taken the 1 Bus, several times, to Cherry Creek. The experience is pleasant since it is a clean bus and most of the riders are professional or service industry workers.
I have heard about the 15 bus, but haven't ridden it, in years. I probably will not ride it anytime soon. Walking will be my option, if ever, I am carless again.
I walk up to Colfax and Downing and wait with many others. It was 6 pm and the 15L--an express bus--was full. I scan the bus and locate an open seat near a man that seems normal. I sit down.
I have my ipod but no sunglasses. I left them in my locked car. Smart.
Anyways, the ride was quick, but I felt dirty. The seat reeked of urine and I think I was the only clean white person on the bus. I almost wore a skirt. I was grateful that I opted to sport shorts due to the leering looks I was getting just being on the bus. The "normal" guy next to me decided to start picking his nose--awesome.
The ride was short and only made 4 stops between Downing and Glencoe. I depart and want to wash the essence off of me. Like I mentioned, walking will be the way in the future.

1 comment:

harmony said...

True....I definitely am grateful for options of public transport, owning a bike and of course, walking. I am glad that the weather is beautiful--enabling walking.