Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Monday dinner

After the Botannic Gardens, I convinced Jan that we should either make dinner or walk to somewhere in my neighborhood. I am close to several establishments, but since I wanted to sell the foodie scene to Jan, I chose Fruition. And, because it was a Monday, our options were limited. I enjoy Mizuna and Luca, which are also walking distance from my house, but they are not open on Mondays. I used to like Potager, but the last few times I have dined there, I have been disappointed in both the food and service. Plus, they are not open on Mondays either.
I love Fruition. The food never disappoints. I have had a few server mishaps, but the food is stellar and so I have suffered through the same server twice. I always focus on the food and order another glass of wine. That seems to dim the poor service.
We walk past Table 6. I considered dining there, too, but knew that Fruition had my attention that night. Of course, they were full and no, I hadn't called for a reservation. Rarely have I made one. Fortunately, I have always been able to snag a table without waiting too long.
That night, I think we waited 20 minutes. We sat alongside 6th Ave, drinks in hand. I'll admit. We both were surprised that they allowed this. There is no waiting area outside of a couple of benches. There is no gate to separate the customers (waiting with drinks) from the sidewalk. For whatever reason, I thought there was some ordinance against this.
I digress. We were seated at a small table. Fruition is an intimate restaurant. Our table location was not ideal, but we were seated. Meaning, we were near the restroom.
We shared the warm asparagus salad and scallops entree. I was pleased with the colors, the taste and the presentation. They serve bread prior to the meal and it is always fresh and tasty.
I thought about ordering coffee and dessert. However, carrot cake was not offered and I knew that Jan does not have much of a sweet tooth. On a side note, I do enjoy their coffee. Order it, after dinner, if you dine there. It is divine.
I wish their wine list was more dynamic, but Jan was happy with the beer selection. I think she thoroughly enjoyed the meal at Fruition. I know that I did.

No comments: