Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo





Continuing the touristy theme of Jan's visit, we drove south to Colorado Springs. Initially, I wanted to go to Santa Fe. When I mentioned this to Jan, she gave a swift no. She felt it was too far and that we should day trip somewhere closer. Next, I suggested Aspen. I have lived in Colorado since 2001 and not once been to Aspen. To go to Aspen, we would need to drive about 4 hours west. This, too, seemed like a lengthy day trip.
I proposed Manitou Springs. I am not enamored with the Springs. Only drive through them to go to Santa Fe. I had heard many wonderful things about the Broadmoor and Manitou Springs. I knew that if I drove an hour, it would be a great day trip.
First, we went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. It had been highly recommended by several people we encountered in Denver.
Jan received a discount for being a Triple A member. We entered and were greeted by the giraffes. Jan wanted a giraffe to take notice of her, but the giraffes were more interested in the crackers or the poles. Several of the giraffes were licking the poles, frantically-almost. It was comical to say the least.
We toured the zoo. I was a little bummed about the lions. They looked haggard. I saw one in South Africa while on a safari. That lion's mane was magnificent and glorious. I guess I wanted to see a similar mane in Colorado Springs.
Anyways, it was lovely and a nice surprise. Like I said, I normally only drive through the Springs....

No comments: