Monday, June 28, 2010

Things that I can do....

Recently, I read a post that inspired me. Or, better yet, affirmed my desire to give back.
Nancy, of Life in the Second Half, is a gifted writer. Many times, I have read her blog and been inspired to do something with whatever she has written about or currently is contemplating.
She blogged about our ability to give back. A grass roots approach instead of relying on the government. She mentioned Katina, the current oil spill, wars, banking, etc. There is a lot going on, right now, and instead of accomplishing a task, we are extending our laundry list of to-do's. With each crisis, we move farther from being successful at one.
She suggested being proactive. Of course, we can complain and whine about the current state of affairs. But, what does it accomplish? More frustration and anger.
So, she wrote about giving back, in small ways, but doing what she could...ie...if a jar is out at a coffee shop--putting in spare change for whatever the cause is; donating clothing that is in the back of her closet, etc.
I believe we are all capable of this. On a small scale, it feels great to give back. I should simplify my closet, my library of books, spare change, etc. This is something that I can definitely do.
Also, I can write about events/fundraisers that I would support. For instance, this Wednesday, we are having a small silent auctin/fundraiser at the Bull and Bush from 6-8 pm where all of the proceeds directly benefit Gulf Aid. Our brewer, Gabe, is passionaate about the Gulf Coast. He made a beer, the Black Coast IPA, in honor of the Gulf. On Wednesday, every pint of the IPA which sells for $5 a pint, will go directly to the Gulf Aid. Also, if you are interested in making a personal donation to the Gulf Coast Aid, we are accepting those too.
We all have talent and ability to help ourselves and others. I am happy that Gabe made this beer and was inspired by his decision to do this. Please come out and support this venture if you are in Denver and passionate about the Gulf Coast. Our beer is tasty, too. You definitely will benefit from that.

No comments: