Thursday, January 9, 2014

Scheduling, wants and hopes

Today began with me trying to talk myself into the 9:30 yoga class.  I made coffee, watched Justified (new season and I do love this show) and contemplated the consequences of skipping the class.  I could run some errands that I seem to continually postpone.  Or, I could read, stay in bed and meet my wine tasting appointment at 11.
Before I even considered attending the noon class at a different studio I had chucked that thought. It would create too much stress to manage my time.  Or would it?  I can do both.  Meet the rep for a quick wine tasting and then attend the class I prefer on Thursdays.  True, I will have to sneak out early.  Earlier than I would like but I could do it.  Or, at least try. I have a 6 minute window before I would be written up for being tardy.
The more I thought I about it, the more attractive the idea became.  It's decided.  I will attend the noon class and then work my typical 1-9:30 shift.  It's starting to wear on me as I have no life outside of work right now.  Social life that is.  This shift is limiting in many ways and I have tried to talk to others and see their perspective on it.  For the time being, I am in it.  One of my co-workers suggests that I am in the "doghouse".  For what, I have no clue.
I am trying to make the most of it.  Hence, my desire to go to the noon class today and arrive right at 1:06.  There is more to life than just work, work, work.  I have always felt this way and lived under the heading of work to travel.  It suits me and I thrive when I have travel as a constant in my life.  I must return to those roots or modify my lifestyle to accommodate a way to maneuver work and travel.  Yoga is helpful and I am considering a teacher training.  There are quite a few studios that offer upcoming trainings.  I need to decide which one works best for me.  I know there is a teacher's teacher "guru" in the city.  The downside of that studio is that it is pricey and far from me.  I am sure that I would benefit from this guy's teaching style but there are other, closer, options that might work, too.  I want a well-rounded education so that I can relocate and teach when I am ready.  I don't want to learn a way that is only known in this city as that is also extremely limiting.
There is another well-respected ashtanga teacher in Phoenix.  His pricing is competitve and more attractive.  However, that studio, too, is up north.  He offers a training that can be completed within a year on your own schedule which is what I like about it.  I think I could overlook the distance as my training would be based on my personal schedule.
Another studio that is respected is centrally located, priced competitively, but the schedule is unappealing.  I would want to have at least one weekend day available for work.  This studio requires training on Saturday and Sunday which kills the possibility of working a shift after class.
I have been thinking about it, a lot. That and a wine harvest.  Why not?  What is stopping me from traveling to work, either abroad or in California, Oregon, Washington?  If I went to Oregon I could crash at one of my sister's houses and actually spend more than five days with my niece and nephews.  They know me from my pictures and the random three day visit that I do every few years.
Lots of things to consider and I suppose, things that I want to make happen.  I am extremely grateful for where I am now.  I talked to my boss the other day and he told me that he was happy I was still part of his organization but that if I was still working for him in a year, he would fire me.
Just like that.  His reasoning...you need to be in California.  In some ways, it is nice to know that he does care about my well-being and recognize that I want other things.
Yes, today, I will attend the noon yoga class. I will decide on a training to commit too and I will be kind to me. I am thankful for Thursday, for sure~

No comments: