Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thankful Thursday

I slept with my windows open last night.  It's January.  How is this possible?  This weather reminds me of March when I adore the weather in Arizona.  I guess what I am suggesting is that I am terrified of what this potentially means.  It's going to get hot and quick!
Good thing that I have a few upcoming adventures in the books.  Santa Fe, Palm Springs, Denver....more, if I can arrange it.  I let go of what I thought I should be doing and feel incredible.  I was trying to please other people and really, ultimately, I want to be happy.  Thriving, living, not just existing.  I dreaded calling my dad with my decision and he surprised me by giving me his blessing.  He said, you have always been able to take care of yourself and you should be happy.
That was music to my ears.  It was not at all what I anticipated.  Leading up to this point, he was encouraging me to give it more time.  A year or a year and a half.  I was like--are you kidding?  I will be living a shell of life at that point.  I get it.  Different generations and ideas of life.  I have a much different outlook of work ethic, for example, than people entering the work force.  It was ingrained in me to be productive, never leaning/always cleaning, accountable...midwest ethics/production.
I differ from my dad, sure.  I want to be free to come and go.  I like the flexibility of the service industry and that I am able to travel frequently.  I'll leave it at that.
I went in to give notice and the moment I walked into the store, I couldn't breathe.  In spite of knowing that it was the best thing for me to do and that they would understand my decision.  I don't know why I have such anxiety about being a responsible employee.  It just makes me anxious to give two weeks notice.  Thankfully, I was able to calm down when I approached my managers.  I wanted to give notice to the two people that interviewed me and that I have worked side by side with for the last five months.  I had my americano to give me courage, too.
At any rate, I feel much better and know that it was the right thing to do.  I don't know, 100%, what I will be doing or where I will end up and that is okay.  I know that I will be fine and that it will all work out.  I feel fantastic!
I am thankful for the experience.  I have met some incredible people along the path of this journey.  Onward to the next venture.

No comments: