Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Frost/Nixon

Since I am on the wagon, I am movie friendly.
I have seen Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, Doubt, Revolutionary Road, The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons and Frost/Nixon. Of these, by far, Slumdog Millionaire is the best. It is uplifting, colorful and well-acted.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons is long, but I am a romantic at heart. I cried and cried and truly enjoyed the movie. Of course, I am a Cate Blanchett fan as well as Brad Pitt. Plus, it took place, predominantly, in New Orleans which is a wonderful city. I could go on and on about the food factor in that city.
I enjoyed Frost/Nixon immensely. It isn't too long and it was interesting. I suppose I like the idea of the underdog and when Nixon does break, I felt bad for him. The actor did a great job of establishing his power along with his vulnerability.
I was disappointed with Doubt and Revolutionary Road. I know that Kate Winslett won a golden globe for her protrayal of the housewife. I thought it would be better. I like Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslett. They do a good job and it is a nice time piece. It isn't awful, but I felt it almost would have been better as a play. I don't know. Maybe I was distracted by how bored Jimmy was during this movie.
Doubt reminded me of going to church. From the get go, I was bored by the sermon. It was well acted, but when it ends, it was surprising that it was over and really cold. Everything about the movie, was bitter.
I would like to see The Reader. I have no idea what it is about, but I am intrigued by the name and know that Kate Winslett won an award for this movie as well. I need a break from the theatre, though. I have eaten too much popcorn lately...

No comments: