Saturday, April 9, 2011

Running today

One week til the 1/2 Marathon. By no means am I in "normal" condition. The last 1/2 Marathon, I ran, was brilliant. I timed it perfectly in my full marathon training schedule. I breezed through the run and felt incredible. I think it fell between two 20 milers. Running 13 miles seemed so easy. Yes, I loved the last 1/2. This go around, I have been lazy. Running when it feels right instead of consistent. I miss my running partners, too. One week to go and barely feeling confident about my physical ability. Well, that could be much. Had it been my first attempt at a 1/2, I would probably back out of the commitment. I would explain to my friends that I am not ready for the challenge. Since I have run a few of these, I will be okay. I have no doubt that it will be interesting and likely that my time will be off from other events. I welcome it. I want to know how little I can train and still perform at a 1/2. I went hiking yesterday and experienced some cramping in my calves. I stopped to stretch and we continued the uphill battle of the hike. Today, I went for an hour and a half run. I stretched, pretty well, or so I thought. I started out and felt some tinges of shin splints. Stunned, since I had prepared by stretching. Stopped, walked, stretched. Continued to go. It felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my legs. I don't know. I do not know how else to explain it. I stopped at a grocery store to use the bathroom and evaluate how the run was going to progress. I stretched my calves out more and started again. At this point, I saw a few other runners on the same trail as me and for whatever reason, everything clicked. No more discomfort anywhere. Running felt amazing and I was so thankful that I continued to go instead of stopping to go tomorrow. Honestly, I would have found excuses to push it to Monday, then Tuesday, and before I know it, it would be Sunday and my long run would have evaded me. No, today was ideal. Amazing day to enjoy running. I met one guy on my loop back who was training for a full marathon in a few weeks. I wish I had continued to run with him. He had a great pace and we ended up heading the same direction. I like talking to other runners about previous events, upcoming races and how they train. I am still trying to figure out the way that works for me. Work in progress, I suppose. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the desire to continue to challenge myself in this way. I realized, while running today, that anything you put your mind to, you can attain. In hindsight, I think I had projected negative thoughts about today's run mostly because I would have preferred more time in bed. Who doesn't enjoy a lazy Saturday morning? When I finally let go of some of those feelings, my run, greatly improved. I could have went farther as well. Next time, I will. Next Sunday, I will run 13.1 miles and then treat myself to beers post race. I cannot wait! I need to plan out my other 1/2's this year, too.

No comments: