Sunday, April 3, 2011

cross training and other ramblings

Two weeks.
Time has flown by. The only saving grace is that I have managed to run, somewhat, each week. And, I am committed to running the 1/2 Marathon. Even if I walk the majority of it, I am doing that event. Determination and the promise of beer can motivate/inspire anyone through 13.1 miles. That will be my mantra--one step in front of the area, one more step, beer is around the corner--or something to that effect. I will run. I will run. I will run.
I love the tech shirts and it is a beautiful course. Challenging, hillacious (uncertain about that word--oh well) and fun. Perfect to run with others so that more people can share in the misery.
Fun times, indeed.
I am hoping for a beautiful day, too. I understand that the weather is less than desireable in Denver right now. Snow. Cold. Yuck. I am so ready for spring. Please be a nice day on the 17th. Praying for sun.
There is still time to train. I am running, solo, mostly, to prepare for this 1/2. I miss having training partners. The Goddess's new job has limited our ability to run during the week. Plus, I have been preoccupied with other ventures. Running keeps me even-balanced, I think.
Still deciding on a full marathon for 2011 and cross training. I need to improve that aspect of the process. Thankfully, I have been able to golf, bowl, and hike in the last few weeks.
Golfing was terrible. I was unable to hit the ball anywhere. I have been a few times in the past and this was, by far, my worst showing at golf. I was miserable. Eventually, I became more interested in the drinking aspect and that seemed to improve my game, a little. 9 holes was all we managed. I remembered thinking--how do people actually playing 18? I would go crazy.
Bowling was mixed. We played five games. My first and my last sucked. I think I bowled five consecutive times and hit the gutter. My friend and I decided to call that a possum. Then, I would hit a strike or a spare. My game was all over the place and entertaining. We ate Schwan's Pizza and drank cheap beer. Perfect way to spend an afternoon.
Hiking was definitely the preferred activity. I loved the landscape and solitude. Unfortunately, the hike was short because of my time issues. Next time, I will take more time to enjoy nature. Sheer bliss.
I wonder how I got here now without focusing on the training aspect. I must pay more attention to that detail for the next race. I don't want to be sore or crabby because I was lazy. Hindsight provides clarity.
Regardless, I am committed to the 1/2 and looking forward to spending time with friends. Opportunities for photos and beer. Ideal, right?

No comments: