Saturday, April 30, 2011

planning sunday's lunch or dinner--haven't decided which...

Last week I suggested that we dine in on Sundays as part of a way to enjoy dining at home. Last week's Sunday meal was successful--grilled ham, pineapple, peppers, corn and mushrooms with au gratin potatoes. I tested some of my culinary limits and succeeded. Yes, I can slice potatoes thin without chopping a finger or two off.
While enjoying said meal, I casually mentioned my hope of creating this custom. I figure as long as I have meals planned, they will support it.
I enjoy roasted eggplant and was inspired while perusing a local market earlier in the week. And, I have used an eggplant recipe on numerous occasions that I enjoy. I found it in the Moosewood Cookbook. I know it is great and believe that I can execute the recipe without too much effort.
Instead of relying on past recipes, I decided to consider other options. I googled eggplant recipes and found many ideas. And, we already have mint, thyme, parsley. I wanted to incorporate those ingredients if at all possible. Moreover, I know how much tomatoes are an asset in this house. Finding a recipe that could blend them all would be ideal.
After checking out a few recipes, I returned to the smitten kitchen where I had found the israeli cous cous recipe from the other day. I liked what they recommended and wanted to see what other goodies they offered.
I found a recipe that they adapted from Giada. They had made improvements to the original recipe. It was funny how many people had commented on her lack of flavor. Agreed, they enjoyed watching her perform the recipes, but were disappointed in how bland most of her creations are.
Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Apparently, eggplant does not make for the most beautiful dish. If it tastes good; well, I am sure the appearance can be overlooked.
I will shop tomorrow for lovely tomatoes, eggplant and garlic. I believe everything else can be found within the pantry. Well, wine will be purchased too. How else can I prepare a meal without sampling wine?

No comments: