Wednesday, April 25, 2018

making dinner on days off and other thoughts

Finally, a pure night of sleep. In bed early.  Little stress and home cooked meal.  Translation, clean living.  I was tempted to meet Jenn for sushi and had she agreed to change the venue I would have met her.  I am growing tired of dining at the same spot and I think, in a way, she does know it.  It is convenient for both of us to meet and I like their happy hour offerings. Buy one, get one--who wouldn't like that?  
I wish they would improve their wine list or at least update it.  Not to mention, their sushi is dated, too.  They do have specials but typically, the same ones offered daily.  As noted, had she agreed to meet elsewhere, I would have been in and caved on my decision to eat clean.  I considered being healthy for a few days and wanted to try it starting on Tuesday.  Mid afternoon, Jenn texted me and asked me to meet her for sushi and I was on the fence.  It's too easy to abandon plans of clean living to meet friends for happy hour.  It is a healthy distraction, social and fun.  I suggested a few other spots and could tell by her response that she was uninterested.  I asked her to meet me at an izakaya and her response was that she was not interested in French tonight.  I chuckled and responded that the spot offered poke, ramen and edamame (one of her favorites) and noted where it was located.  It fell flat.  She was determined to go to her designated spot.  It's convenient and she enjoys it.  Kindly, I asked for a raincheck and plotted my dinner.  I had lentils in my cupboard that I keep looking at.  I could easily make soup.  Normally, I have mirepoix on hand and garlic.  I would need to purchase a red bell pepper and maybe an avocado to bulk up the soup.  I declined on the avocado since the selection looked tired and bruised.  
I have made variations of green chile lentil soup and the recipe I found last night was actually quite tasty.  I think the addition of the paprika and cumin helped with the spice./flavor component. I would add more garlic next time still.  Recipes, in my opinion, minimize the garlic factor.  I always add more.  I have a fair amount of left overs and figure I will add more garlic today if I choose to eat soup for lunch.  Or, I have greens, tuna, capers, garbanzo beans and a few other staples in my kitchen. I try to keep things on hand to minimize my desire to dine out.  I live by two greek restaurants, a thai place and a delicious sandwich spot.  In an attempt to stop dining out due to convenience, I am picking up items to sustain hunger. I always have protein bars and coffee.
I needed to resupply some of my necessities and wanted to drop some books off at one of the local free library spots in the city.  Conveniently, I am familiar with a location near a dollar tree and coffee shop.  I could be healthy by bringing my own cup to be filled with coffee, drop off books to be read by others and pick up a few essentials at the dollar store. I buy dishwashing soap and other cleaners there.  I have been trying to incorporate more natural products into my daily life.  Instead of buying my normal laundry detergent I bought a natural product.  In the past year, I have been using natural shampoo and conditioner, too.  One small change does impact others and my daily life.  I am more mindful of what I am buying and how it effects me.  I have even switched to making my own mouthwash instead of buying the commercial products.  I love the addition of essential oils in my daily life.  Try peppermint and clove and see how you feel.  I feel invigorated!
I should go for a walk or enjoy being outside.  It is a gorgeous day in Denver!  Enjoy your day!

No comments: