Saturday, April 28, 2018

FIt April summary

April, also known as the month of fitness, is almost over.  It is referred to this way by my group of friends.  One of my friends created this event as a way to motivate, inspire, what have you herself and friends.  She is embarking on a milestone birthday in May and wanted a little assistance in reaching her goal of looking fantastic in a swimsuit.  Believe me, she looks great and didn't need to create this event to slim down.  I think she wanted others to participate and so the focus became more about fitness than overall health and wellness.
The goal was to decrease alcohol, increase exercise/intensity and in general, pay attention to wellness.  She has friends that are very active on social media and would regularly post progress and goals.   They listed work out times, regimens, and progress.  She has a large group of friends and so there was a lot of information to sort through and applaud.  I sort of took the more passive role of lurker.  Kinda lame and lurker definitely reminds me of something naughty or negative. Neither of which are true in this case.  I didn't post any of my goals, hopes or desires regarding my weight or health for April.
I told her I was participating but I did no weigh in to look back on throughout the month.  In addition, I didn't comment on my progress or lack of.  I noted who was doing what and found myself not checking in as often as the month progressed.  I told her that I would make more of an effort to participate in the second half of the month.  I failed.  And miserably at that.  I didn't increase my working out frequency or decreasing my wine intake.  I can't help it.  I enjoy a glass of wine with meals and I have a lot of friends that I see on a fairly regular basis.  I mean, I met her the other day and my intention was to take five days off.  Yet, instead, I met her for happy hour in our neighborhood on Thursday.  On Tuesday, she wanted to meet for sushi which again, I would have been enjoying wine.  I declined on Tuesday and made dinner at home.
On a positive note, I did cut our dining out as frequently as I normally do.  Instead, I made salad, soup and pasta.  I need to figure out the thermometer on my fridge.  Lately it has been freezing any vegetables near the top shelf.  I have lost two heads of lettuce in this fashion.  It is annoying and wasteful.  I made a delicious garbanzo bean driven soup last night.  Super flavorful.  Of course, I doctored it up with more garlic, Mexican oregano and cumin.  It was a straightforward broth based soup.  I see more of this in my future.  Heathier and I can control how much or how little oil I use.  I did spend three sessions with my trainer this month.  She whipped me in to shape physically and mentally.  She has been on a sharing information journey and I greatly appreciate that.  She is willing to aid me in my quest to start teaching more yoga.  She has suggested auditioning at nearby studios as a way to build a clientele.  She quizzes me about my hopes, dreams and wants and encourages me to start making them happen.  I really appreciate her and her determination to help me be the best me possible.
So maybe I didn't start running like I thought I would.  Or, cut out drinking wine during the week *huge epic fail* which I had hoped to achieve.  Stress lends to that decision and that I am social.  I learn from meeting my friends and brain storm with them.  No regrets there.  Still, sure I would have liked to have been healthier.  I have been practicing a ton of yoga alongside friends and so I am getting a bunch of push ups into my daily regime.   Tomorrow, I am meeting a friend to walk a nearby park.  I want to enjoy the sunshine before it gets too hot.
I also recognize that although I didn't commit to a month of healthy living in a present fashion, I am making lifestyle changes.  I am committed to eating cleaner and making diet modifications so that I am able to enjoy wine on a daily basis if I so choose.  That is a smart transition for me and something I can achieve.  I can make modifications--less dressing, less oil, less bacon, to name a few--and still eat what I want. I have cut cheese out of my diet for the most part.  My friend, Jenn, ordered a cheese plate the other night before I arrived at happy hour.  She texted me and commented that of course, she knows I no longer eat cheese and where was her head?  Probably thinking she was hungry and that cheese compliments wine....I don't know.  It is something that I altered due to wanting to change my diet and kick start my metabolism.  I feel healthy and am very thankful for my decision to hire a trainer and recognize that I do need some accountability for my health.  I like the idea of Fit April but I want to practice it, daily.  Not just make a go of it for one month.
There are areas of improvement.  Maybe that will be my goal for May.  Or June?  Keeping it real on a Saturday, lol.  Have a wonderful rest of your day!  Get outside if you have the opportunity.  It is glorious!

No comments: